Old 11-18-2014   #21
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by mania View Post
I have tried a lot of river shoes but am never satisfied with the durability, warmth, comfort or support. Always something seems to be lacking. I don't just sit in a boat all day there is hiking, scouting, rescue whatever that needs to happen. What about looking to the fishing industry? I came across this brand they are made for walking around in or to water all day and I am seriously considering this for whitewater application. Would be nice to know if anyone has tried these or something similar out. Simms Wading Boots: rugged fishing boots that provide the best wading traction & grip available with optimal foot support.

Yeah I immediately thought about the Simms Flats sneaker for his use....maybe even the zipit bootie. Simms is known for their durability and these boots are made for walkin (and that's just what they'll do)

Possibly even Korker's devils canyon wading boot but I dunno if they would be too beefy. These will be my next water shoe purchase.

2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014   #22
down by the river, California
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by Dwave View Post
5.10 stopped supplying all external manufacturers their rubber...Adidas bought them out and is keep the rubber proprietary.
Adidas is using their newly in-house 5.10 on some of their own shoes too. I picked up a pair of Adidas Solo approach shoes with 510 Stealth rubber on them last year. Fit, comfort, and drainage is great. Far better for hiking kayaks for miles than the Water Tennies, which dont have much support. Havent had a chance to really test them on my usual slick granite stomping grounds (come on CA rain), but the grip seems just as good as my Tennies and previous 510 models.. has little triangles on sole instead of dots. Gotta be careful shopping, though, as they also seem to make the same model with some other 'Traxion' sole. Not sure if the Stealth batch was a limited release or what. Still available online though!

fishy_counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014   #23
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
+1 Astrals. Love mine and working in a SCUBA shop its not difficult to throw fins on. Lightweight and fast drying.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014   #24
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
NRS makes some River boots that are geared more towards the industrial rescue side of the spectrum. I am sure you can get yourself set up with a gov't account and get stuff for wholesale at a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014   #25
Grass Valley, California
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to tale a look at the Astral line. Some great information from everyone. As you are aware- having your shoe come off during a big swim sucks!

fcpnorman is offline   Reply With Quote