Old 06-12-2014   #11
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I went through what your going through last summer. I ended up buying an older Hyside for a good price in the fall. Get in touch with me when you get a boat and when the water goes down. I'm always looking to go out on my IK. Have you run an IK before?

VernanBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014   #12
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Okay, pretty excited as I have a Tomcat ordered for myself and a Strike for the wife. VernanBarbarian, yes, I have ran an IK a couple of times and I am all in now as the raft has been sold.
I've been looking at vids online and it seems that just about any water is possible with the right skill set. I think we are going to practice on the upper C for a while until we feel comfortable. I live 20 minutes or so from the put-in on Clear Creek, but after looking at it today, the IK will have to wait a while as it is jamming.
Quick question for anyone, what do most of you carry in the IK? Being a rafter, I'm used to having a fair amount of gear and it looks like I should be able to lash some bags and other gear in the IK.
Any recommendation on gear bags, accessories, etc., would be appreciated.
Looking forward to the new venture!

Murky Depths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Make sure you get thigh straps. They help with control and holding yourself in the boat. I also have a thwart that I use as a foot brace. I prefer the thwart over the aire foot pegs. I have also seen some nice foam foot brace designs on the buzz. I also prefer a thwart for my back versus the cheetah chair.

I just carry tear aid for the repair kit and a k pump as the tubes will get soft quickly in cold water since there is not a lot of volume in the tubes.

If you pump up the tomcat too hard you will raise your center of gravity a little too high.
merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014   #14
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Excellent, thank you. Thwart and thigh braces have been ordered. The Upper C is under 4,000cfs, so I'm giving it a go this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

Murky Depths is offline   Reply With Quote