Old 04-15-2013   #21
C. Springs, Colorado
I'd like to stress getting a really good CPR mask. Rivers are the one place they really do come in handy. CPR Masks - Red Cross Store

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #22
Paddling Since: 2002
well i just bought the military medic kit in the headline post. i'll post up some pictures of it when i get it in the mail. from my online investigating it looks like a good set up at a good price.

keep the idea's coming please!

really like hearing about the small random items you all are packing in too!
often times my first aid kit turns into more of a survival kit

great ideas!

some other things i forgot to mention that i pack are: finger nail clippers, bic lighter, swiss army knife, signal mirror(small) and electrical tape(this stuff is awesome for wrapping finger wounds)

Oh! I don't take it lightly! I've always got to know
There's an old lion a roarin' n the river down below
colorado_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #23
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
This could be a good place to start as you need to know how to treat a injury
Wilderness and Rescue Medicine by Jeffrey Isaac, PA-C and David Johnson, MD is the primary text for upper level Wilderness Medical Associates courses. It’s systems and principles oriented approach to understanding medical problems best enables the medical officer to improvise and adapt to a wide variety of situations. The content will be appreciated by medical practitioners at all levels of training but is aimed at the Wilderness First Responder and Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician.
fishthesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #24
Leavenworth, Washington
Paddling Since: 1994
Regular and Expedition First Aid kit

Here is what we keep in the multi day first aid kit. This doesn't include prescription meds or IV fluids that we also take with us (When we have a paramedic or nurse along.) .

There are two tabs- one for Large and one for Expedition
GBWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #25
Erwin, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1984
Water is a low O2 enviroment, I like to have a few air way options, OPA's and NPA's. No airway no patient.
toney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #26
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
I'd like to stress getting a really good CPR mask. Rivers are the one place they really do come in handy. CPR Masks - Red Cross Store
Thanks, just ordered 3 masks in an effort to never be without again.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #27
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
Thanks, just ordered 3 masks in an effort to never be without again.
One more note on masks, get the "Pocket Mask" and practice with it prior to going on a trip or better yet when you take a CPR class. It is very versatile and helpful since most water injuries resulting in a no breathing incident are followed by vomiting. If you have a no breathing emergency you really don't want to wait for the first aid kit to arrive before providing care. I care a pocket mask in my pfd and in my first aid kit. When I kayak or backpack I have a shield style I keep in my small first aid kit.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #28
Louisville, Colorado
I am liking the lists - I really need to rehab my first aid kit. I didn't see it glancing through the list but I also take several sharpies (you can write HR/BP on a patient's forehead to monitor trends)some stuff for dental emegencies- like pain medicating topical swabs and temporary cement (for lost crowns and cracked teeth). I also take a compass (old school) which doubles as my signal mirror and a Spot device (semi new school). I rented a Sat phone once. I would like to get a sweet pelican case to house everything.

I seem to recal from EMT class many moons ago that you can tell general BP from where you can feel pulse - gonna have to look that up again.

Edit to add...
I think the most common injuries, other than bruises, are burns, sprains, and shoulder dislocations. What have other people experienced?
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #29
So what if a guy vomits while you are giving him CPR or mouth-to-mouth?

If a guy is dying on me, I don't care about vomit. And I assume that once he vomits, he starts breathing on his own?

If I were a professional EMT doing CPR often on random dirt bags, yes, I would use a mask. But, it seems like a huge distraction on the river.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013   #30
Pine, Colorado
The mask has a one way valve in it; this allows you to blow air in but any discharge gets blocked. Sometimes people do vomit and as your mouth is covering theirs they will vomit in your mouth rendering you unable to continue with your rescue breaths.

English Bob is offline   Reply With Quote