Old 04-15-2013   #11
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
There have to be some Doctors or other medical professionals around here someplace. Need their input.

A doctor who ran with us packed ours for commercial trips; fit into a standard ammo can and we had everything we ever needed. I recall Hydrogen Peroxide, Tampax and pads (best packers for major cuts), lots of gauze and tape, toothache and earache stuff. Lots of other miscellaneous. Took my can to him every year and he packed it for me. No prescription stuff at all. Why risk everything to ease someone's pain for a few hours?

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #12
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
NPS recommendations are here:

GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #13
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by mrkyak View Post
One of them twisted a knee hiking. I loaned them my knee brace from my emt kit.
good idea on a knee brace! hiking accidents happen all the time
Oh! I don't take it lightly! I've always got to know
There's an old lion a roarin' n the river down below
colorado_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #14
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
I carry a small "bathtub" candle, waxed strike anywhere matches and a lighter for easy fire starting and a good knife as a bare minimum for firewood collection/splitting. Not necessarily medical related, but it goes in my first aid bag as part of the oh shit gear.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #15
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
First Aid Kit

Our list that is collected from many others...

google doc

My wife is a Wilderness EMT so she knows what to do with all the things I have no clue about! (Although I used the surgical stapler to fix the drawknife wound on her knee )

"ma"=major, "mi"=minor
denachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #16
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1981
I carry two antibiotics on week or longer trips. Amoxicillin and Ciprofloxacin. They are cheap, and can be used for lots of things. Was fortunate on my first GC trip that someone had them, as I got a tooth abcess.
geobucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #17
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
For a drug like Cipro, which is generally OK in a professional setting, one should be ready to give advice such as on a handout I made for just that: (this was for a relative that could be subject to anthrax)

Ciprofloxacin (Cipro, Cipro XR, Proquin XR)
possible side effects:
…….. Nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, lightheadedness, headache, or trouble sleeping may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

……. See your doctor immediately if unlikely but serious side effects occur: mental/mood changes (e.g., anxiety, confusion, hallucinations, depression, rare thoughts of suicide), shaking (tremors), skin that sunburns more easily (sun sensitivity).

……. Ciprofloxacin may rarely cause serious nerve problems that may be reversible if identified and treated early. Seek immediate medical attention if you develop any of the following symptoms: pain/numbness/burning/tingling/weakness in any part of the body, changes in how you sense touch/pain/temperature/body position/vibration.

……. unusual bruising/bleeding, severe/persistent headache, signs of a new infection (e.g., new/persistent fever, persistent sore throat), unusual change in the amount of urine, change in color of urine (red/pink urine), signs of liver problems (e.g., unusual tiredness, stomach/abdominal pain, persistent nausea/vomiting, yellowing eyes/skin, dark urine), vision changes.

B.No. 9749050 M.R.P.Rs. 60/40
MFG. 03/2011 Per 10 Tabs
EXP. 02/2014
“Ciprofloxacin Hydrochloride IP equivalent to Ciprofloxacin”

Ciprofloxacin is a broad spectrum antibiotic that is used to treat infections ranging
from mild strep to complicated pneumonias. Because it kills a large range of bacteria
Cipro is often prescribed so that the patient doesn't develop a secondary infection If the immune system is weakened.

What drugs are FDA-approved for treatment of anthrax?
Ciprofloxacin, doxycycline and penicillin are FDA-approved for the treatment of anthrax.

Take one 500 mg a day for 7 – 10 days
Possibly two the first day – 8+ hours apart
Always complete at least a 7 day course – unless side effects occur

Of many reasons why drugs are regulated is the failure of a person to see a prescription through.
One 500 mg a day for 7 days would be the common minimum course for Cipro for an adult.
Because cipro can sometimes be very effective it is unfortunately common for folks who don't understand disease resistance to stop a course after just a coupe days.
Huge error both for the individual and our species.

If you are going to carry meds, prescription or otherwise, be ready to ask questions and provide knwledge.
Some sort of info sheet that is easier to understand than the fine print paperwork would be appropriate.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #18
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Amoxicillin has a lot more issues.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #19
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Be very careful about stitching, stapling, or otherwise closing wounds in the back country. This is begging for an infection. ER docs won't even stitch up "dirty" wounds that are more than 8 hours old anymore. Best to just keep them clean and covered. Vigorous irrigation with clean water or saline using a large syringe is best. Just because you Can stitch someone up.....doesn't mean you Should in many cases.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #20
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Originally Posted by BilloutWest View Post
Amoxicillin has a lot more issues.
Such as allergies that a person may not know they even have. Good call Bill.

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote