Old 01-30-2011   #1
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
First Aid Kit

So I carry on my boat a basic kit with a couple of extra things( pain killers of the precripton kid, Enerlyte - for rehydration from a bad case of the poops, benadryl, cough syrup) and stuff from the kit that I have.
I want to make the kit better and more prepared for things that might happen on a longer trip where getting to medical help might be a a day or so away. I have read through a couple of guides but I like to know what you all have.

Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011   #2
Red Deer, Alberta
Paddling Since: 1979
We allways carry a small ammo can that a nurse/EMT had put together for us. There is something added to it all the time. You can never be too prepared.

Riverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011   #3
Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2006
There are several sites sources on the net to find contents for a first aid kit. The cheapest way is to buy a already maid kit, then customize it to your specific needs. The most important part of your kit is the thing that sit on your shoulders. Make sure you know what is in your kit and how to use it.
damichi11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011   #4
castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
On my last trip I got a lot of sand in my eye and was trying to use eye drops and pouring water in my eye. Someone had a eye washing glass in there first aid kit and it made everything much better. All it was is a glass like a shot glass but made in the shape of the eye socket and was able to blink with it while it was full of water. Cleaned my eye very well and very fast. I recomend on for every raft first aid kit
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #5
Red Deer, Alberta
Paddling Since: 1979
a mickey of good scotch helps too
Riverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #6
DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
What about a backboard? I've luckily never had to use one, but have definitely heard of situations where they were used. They also double as a table at camp and a seat on your boat. Hope you never have to use it!
Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #7
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I took a premade wilderness kit and then added/deleted items I thought were useful.

Some stuff I added:
-no-needle srynge (like the kind you get at the pharmacy for free). It does a great job of flushing out sand out of the eye and dirt out of open wounds.
-ace bandage and SAM splint (you can use a SAM splint as a good neck brace or nealy any other kind of splint)
-Triangle bandages- slings, ties etc
-rehydration packets and water purification tabs
-diabetic sugar gel
-various meds

I need to go through and replenish my kit from time to time as it does get used somewhat frequently. Also now is a good time to check expiration dates on items in the kit.

I also use my kit as a demo when I teach my Wilderness First Aid classes. Got another one coming up so I guess I better get to the re-stocking asap!
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #8
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Some of the multi day permitted trips have pretty extensive lists on their websites, like Grand Canyon regulations. This type of kit is a bit too beefed up for day trips... but gives you prettty comprehensive list of ideas --- scale it down for your purposes....

Oh yea... take some first aid classes.. you shouldn't have anything in your kit you dont know how to use... Conversely... learn how to use the rescue/first aid equipment you carry... pretty lame if you are counting on someone else to know this
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #9
steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
duct tape and tampons (cause there's nothing better for stopping major bleeding). you can duct tape a tampon right on a big cut to stop major bleeding.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #10
loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Medicine for the outdoors

I'd recommend getting a copy of 'Medicine for the Outdoors' by Auerbach. It is a good reference book and has a section on first aid kits. It covers both major medical problems and minor medical problems. Of course having the proper training to know how to provide good patient care is still the key.

cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote