Old 11-09-2011   #21
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Burn the factory paint off then use heat paint.The brush on type holds up much better than the rattle cans. We use it for the dutch ovens & bbq more than fires. You know the drill,haulin ash( Note the fuel supply next to the fire)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	209.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	4143  

jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #22
Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
This is one we made for compact applications. It meets San Juan regs

Mountain Buzz - coloradopaddler's Album: break down fire pan

ngeoym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #23
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
JPBay, does your gas grill have a checker and backgammon board on top? Is that self made or store bought?
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #24
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
JPBay, does your gas grill have a checker and backgammon board on top? Is that self made or store bought?
The checker board it the top of an old colman camp kitchen. We use it with a 2 burner stove for coffee and extra burners when the 4 burner partner is full. It also has a sink for hand washing.Handy old thing! The propane wagon Q is not in that pic,but I did build it too.It will cook 14 1-1/2 thick steaks with some room to spare. Also both of them have radieo flyer lids,smaller wagon pan that fits inside the fir pan.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #25
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
The Fire Pan | Self Support Kayak Camping

This is the only way to go for a kayaker.
I am intrigued by this design and would like to try to make one that's 15X24 with the 4 inch elevation off the ground. I can get all the parts cut to size from My question is about using aluminum. Would it hold up to heat? Warping issues? We don't do many fires, but do a lot of DO cooking. Metal by the inch has 6061 .25 inch aluminum angle for the sides and legs, and 3003 H14 aluminum sheet for the bottom. The 3003 H14 sheet says it's heat resistant and can be used for cooking utensils.
This looks like a cool winter project, and a way to cut down on weight & bulk on the firepan. Something to fiddle around with and see how it turns out????
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #26
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I doubt it as aluminum has a much lower melting point than steel.

Maybe if you can find a way to keep the heat from the metal. Fires can get a lot hotter than a few coals placed around a DO

For my firepan, i use pretty thin gauge sheet metal riveted to a steel skeleton. We usually start our ash bin using about 1/8" sand sprinkled over the bottom of our firepan, Each new fire uses the ashes and sand from prior burns to keep the base from melting or deforming. This separation so far hasnt destroyed or warped our pan

Btw i designed the sizing of the pan so the cooler drops into it. It also acts as a skidguard to keep my cooler from getting trashed if i miss my line. Much cheaper to fix a firepan than replace a $300 cooler
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011   #27
Park City, Utah
I have been thinking about a light weight fire pan, and I plan to go with a restaurant style steam pan, something like this:

I don't think it would work for the big ditch due to it's size and you would need to rig some legs for other rivers, but it would be lighter than many alternatives plus it's stainless. You can get a steam pan with 4" sides as well.
Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011   #28
Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
I use the partner steel 2 piece pan with good results. It did not meet the leg requirements per GC regulations. I welded four 1/2" steel nuts to bottom corners of the larger "female" half and two nuts onto the end corners of the smaller "male" half. I then screw in six 1/2"x 3" carriage bolts and its done. The center as well as all outside corners are fully supported and the pan still stows away easily into the 20 mil can with the bolts removed. Also, a sheet of tin foil between the pan and fire blanket works well to keep the expensive blanket from scorching.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011   #29
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
this thing looks kinda cool

Economy Fire Boxes
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011   #30
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Small light firepan idea

I use a round galvanized oil pan, roughly 18-20" across, with 4" lip. Weighs next to nothing compared to the hard steel firepans. Makes a good dutch-oven cooking base too. BUT, does not have legs, so must elevate on rocks.

Originally Posted by borntobathe View Post
what do folks do that just want to meet regulations and be super lightweight and small as i rarely build fires

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote