Mountain Buzz banner

FFS i keep changing my mind. Boat suggestions.

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Jobu 
#1 ·
I am intermediate kayaker but took a bad swim a few years ago in sydels suckhole (class 4 hole, browns canyon). Smashed my confidence, and I got rid of my equipment. I am now buying all new stuff and want to learn to play boat in upper c , and shoshone. So heres what I want

My build - 185 lbs, 6' 1" and huge size 13's that dont like to fold up. Long legs.

Boat desired - Able to play alot in smaller pours and waves class 2-3 mostly 2 cause I am a puss now, confidence builder - rolls up like a beginner boat/ can hand roll it :), wont crush my feet but isnt so big in volume that I cant toss it around and learn to play in it (am new to playboating). When I go down shoshone I dont want to get tossed around and want to resume some sort of control. Something I can play with in an eddy. USED boat, since I have to outfit everthing I gotta get the boat for under 600 bucks.

Goals - get my confidence back, learn to stall, and cartwheel.

Boats I am thinking of... with the juice very high on my list.

Juice 7.1
g ride
kingpin
ez
ezg

please tell me what you suggest, think bla bla
if you recommend a boat for me.. then what size

See less See more
#5 ·
gh i think the ezg would be good for me I am just wondering about getting my feet in it. Your not to far away either. Ur boat is what inspired me to back out of my juice idea. I emailed you a few questions but I just found out we are having a swap up here april 29 and 30. I think I should go sit in a few boats that I am interested in there.

How different are the ezg and the ez? the price is very different.

#6 ·
I am 6' with size 10 feet and the boat is very comfy. You are welcome to come over and try it out if you are close or go out with me. I didnt find the juice to be a very stable boat but its all personal choice.

#7 ·
Here goes
The Juice, like alot of Dagger Boats, slicey tail that alot of people don't care for and quite a bit of nose volume. That means it will tail stand and squirt real well, surf nicley but harder to cartwheel.
I paddle 4 different Daggers and have played in Golden in the following boats I fit in 220/5'10''/11 feet

The EZ/EZG, mostly the difference is in the sizing with the EZ's being a bigger boat. There are some outfitting differences also.
Size wise you can say Wavesport has made a 6 size line up with the EZ/EZG
small to big
EZG 42
EZ
EZG 50
Big EZ
EZG 60
Super EZ

If your looking for a river play boat to learn to cartwheel the EZ/EZG is the better design but if your blaming the boat its your skills.

You will have a hard time finding a used Liquid Logic CR as they are new this year.

An other boat for you to look at is the Jackson Funs either the 4fun which is your weight but might be small for your hight/feet or the Super fun. Very stable river runners and great for basic play.

For a play surfing boat I paddle the Kingpin 6.3 seat all the way forward and it sits low in the water. you might find it alitte small for river running but it is one of the best all around playboats made being very balanced.
Let me know if you would liKe to try it out some time I could meet you at Confluence or Golden.

Confluence Kayaks is holding a boat swap Apr. 22 & 23

#10 ·
rasdoggy your post helped a whole bunch. I am now leaning towards the ezg or the EZ and not sure if I will like the ez as much as ezg. I am going to go to the swap and sit in them to see if I can get in the big-ez. The only reason I am leaning towards it is price. I will be leaving CO after the summer (most likely).

So the ez has more volume than the ezg, but since the big ez is smaller I think I want to find one to try to squeeze into. If I dont fit in it then I will be going to the ezg. Thanks for all the help.

As far as it working out in the river, well if I fit and cant control a boat this highly recomended then I guess I should hone my skills :)

#11 ·
I second what Larry had to say about the heel block. Using a foam block that supports your heels as opposed to the ball of your feet is the key to opening up space in small boats. I have long legs and it makes a HUGE difference. Unfortunately this is something you will probaly have to shape yourself. I paddle a CR250 with a homemade heelblock and it's the most comfortable boat I've ever owned. (18 yrs) If you want to make one I recommend a half circle about ten inches in diameter to start with and whittle from there. Good luck.

Miguel

#12 ·
Ya i sat in a cr125 and cr250 yesterday and they were rediculous. The most comfortable boats I have ever been in. I can't believe I was able to squeeze into the cr125 comfortably with my size 13's. GH sold his ezg 60 before I had a chance to get into one and see if I fit, no suprise there as the boat is in pretty high demand. So I guess I am off to the swap to find one, if I can't, then I guess I will have to throw down on a new CR. Just don't know if I want the 125 or the 250. Going to be a big water year so probably the 250.

The foot bed is great, cushy and warm. Seems like a boat I could spend hours in without a problem. I am guessing it will be a popular boat this year. I just have to decide if the amount of boating I am going to do justifies the cost of a new boat or not.

#13 ·
Kingpin 6.3

I know you said you are leaning towards the ezg or ez but let me throw my two cents in. I started in a big ez and loved it, you can't go wrong. My next boat was a kingpin 6.3 I am still in it and love it, quite honestly I feel more comfortable in it than my ez. More comfortable with the control and body position. By the way I am 6'2 190lbs and size 12 feet that do not like to be curled up. Most of the time while my buddies have to get out of their boats to stretch I am dickin aroung in my boat. Every now and then my feet take some zzzzzs but raely
Hope this helps

#14 ·
My concern with the kingpin is river running. I am not sure how tossed around I will get in class 3 water at the shoshone and on such a big water year, and since I want to rebuild a little confidence out there, I am not sure if play/rodeo is going to be my best bet. Just dont think I am ready for it, though I do see it being the next step. As far as the big ez well.. I would rather have the faster version ezg, as I hear the ez series is slow.

#17 ·
Update::

Well I ended up with an ezg 60. After all the reading I did, its the boat everyone seemed to have a good thing to say about.

Found it for $600 used plus shipping about 20 minutes before heading down to the shop to buy new. So its not yellow like I wanted but oh well...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.