Old 11-14-2011   #1
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Favorite cold weather boating gear?

Looks like I get to join in on the snow-filled fun on the Rogue this next week. You guys have any cold weather "must bring" stuff that you drag along on such trips? I already have the flask packed...what else?

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #2
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
and yes, I have all the obvious stuff like a drysuit....

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I bet you have what you need already, but maybe a couple lighters and/or waterproof matches and a small chunk of fire starter....just in case someone needs to get warm quick.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #4
Denver,, exhaustion
early this spring i started using those chemical hand warmers (left over from ski season). I would open one and place it in my chest pocket of one of my layering peices.

If it is really cold this REALLY Works at keeping your core warm... which really helps.
The NRS Toaster MItts are another don't leave home without when the air temp is sub freezing.
"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
this april in minnesota i learned that to help stay warm you want to eat lots of calories. have a big breakfast, and take plenty of snacks. it's not a bad idea to take a hot beverage with you on the river. taking a small stove, a jetboil or something similar, can go a really long way to warm you up.

my biggest problem in the cold is keeping my hands warm.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #6
One very cold day on the river, after a nasty swim, I found myself severely hypothermic. My buddy pulled out a thermos of steaming hot tea from his boat, and graciously offered it to me. That was over 10 years ago, and I remember that moment like it was yesterday. I can eat a billion calories and be bundled up with so many layers that I can't even move, but still be teeth-chattering cold, but a hot cup of tea, or coffee, or coco, and all is better!
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #7
Shit Creek, Colorado
I tend to get really cold hands, so I have started to use gloves/mitts AND poggies if I paddle and there is snow on the ground. My new favorite fire starting assistant for emergencies is shaved magnesium. I like to have that on any trip where getting unbelievably cold is a real possiblity. Bought it in long shavings at a gun show ($15/lb). Unfortunately I have no idea where that guy gets it, but it is amazing, better than the other stuff I have tried.
Have a great trip!
Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #8
GWS, Colorado
A shorty and a bag of mushrooms.
Shitouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #9
Reno, Nevada
Bring a small propane heater that runs on the one pound propane canisters. It is great for warming up in the morning (cold feet and hands) and also drying out wet clothing. If you have a large tent and a vestibule you can hang your wet clothing up in the tent open the door to the vestibule and run the heater in the vestibule dry your gear. Just be careful not to melt your tent and keep a door cracked for ventilation. Also I wouldn't run it for long periods of time if you are in the tent because of carbon monoxide poisoning. It could be a real life saver if somebody is hypothermic and it is too wet to get a fire going. It might sound sissy to bring a heater but on a cold wet trip it kicks ass and everybody else will be asking to borrow it to dry there wet gear so bring extra propane tanks.
Bluefunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #10
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Tdub & any LL kayak

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote