Old 04-02-2011   #1
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Electric Pumps

Anyone use a good electric pump that powers off a car battery. Thanks.

nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #2
Kayenta, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006
As good as Any

I am sure tons of them are good and you can spend a lot or a little. We got the NRS Blast Inflator. $100.00. Had it only a year, but so far it works real well. Gets a 14 foot Otter to top-offable level in 12 minutes or right abouts. Appears to hold up well. Simple, basic. Sure beats the hell out of using a K-200, which we had been using exclusively for the past two years with our Duckies...I wasn't picky.

NRS Blast Inflator Pump

I bet many of them out there are good. You see all kinds of em.

Good Luck, let us know whatcha get.

bucket52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #3
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
The NRS Pumps work fine, the LVN pumps last longer But cost more.We bring a sealed battery on the river trips to inflate air beds & rafts.The cheap pumps use less battery power,but don,t have enough power to tighten up a raft. So buy a $100 plus pump for the raft & a $40 pump for the other stuff
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #4
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
I have had one of the Metro inflator/deflater that NRS sells for about three years and it works great. Of course you still have to top off the boat with a barrel pump but it takes less than 10 minutes to inflate a 14' boat. You can also turn it around and suck all of the air out of your boat. I accidentally sucked quite a bit of water through mine last spring and it still works fine.
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #5
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
I bought A bucket head wet/dry vac from Home depot for $ 20. Takes 10 minutes to blow up my 14fter.
tczues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
I have a Metro from the mid-1980's! Still works. The Metro price is right and it is durable but it is a little slow and leaves a lot of topping off by hand. If you are inflating and deflating for a lot of day trips your needs are different than if you are only inflating a few times per season for multi-day floats or keeping your boat inflated on a trailer all season.
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #7
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I've always used a cheap one I bought at kmart about 14 years ago. Red and made in the USA with a 12v lighter adapter. Brand is something like inter something. It was about $12 and has served me well. Fills about twice as fast as an "equivalent" black campbell hausefeld one my buddy bought from china

I can get the boat 95% there and just need to top off with my NRS 5" barrel pump. I say spend your dollars on a good quality hand pump as on the river your $150 ac powered blower is not gonna do much good
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #8
Boise, Idaho
Have to agree with slamkal on this one and use the uber cheap pumps, mine being from wallymart...a coleman with a 12v plug, maybe 10 bucks. I also bought a cheap car jumper, which my pump plugs into so I can inflate away from the truck. Battery can also be used to jumpstart if necessary. Walmart pumps are great. My coleman still blows huge volume at several seasons old. If it does wear out I'll swap it out with a new one(love renting overseas goods!). I use my k pump on little boats and my carlson on the big boats.

P.S. I also use my electric to pull air out of the round boats to help me get a nice tight roll...
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I also use the cheapie coleman inflator, but I found it works much better if I open the valve to blow up the chamber, then stick my thumb in to the valve to seal and close it. it inflates twice as fast and puts much less stress on the crappy motor since it doesn't have to blow the valve open.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #10
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Yes always inflate with valve open and then quickly close the valve when I remove it. Otherwise these cheapies can deliver volume but not enough volume when pushing the valve spring

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote