Old 11-06-2012   #1
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Effect of the Green on Kayak Designs

I've had this discussion with a couple of folks on the rivers in the NW before, but probably not very out loud before.

Here's my postulation: I think the choice by Jackson, Dagger, Pyranha (US dist.), Wave Sport and Liquid Logic to do much of their primary testing work on the Green River Narrows is resulting in creek boats that excel at tight and technical drops, but suffer in bigger, pushier water.

For example, a single unit (100%) Green run is 216 cfs. It takes 3-5 times that amount for some of the NW classics like the Truss, LW and Canyon Creek to come into play.

As an analog, car makers have been honing their stuff at the Nordschleife, but this is resulting in cars that don't work as well out in the real world because the suspension is set too tight for real world comfort.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #2
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Thats why they make creek boats for the the tight & manky and river runners for the big and pushy. ie recon & diesel, nomad & mamba,. But if your gona run the green why not use a green boat? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the green boat the ultimate green boat? And the green boat doesn't have a whole lot incommen with modern creek boats. Thats my thought. later

You know what gets me about the green? How does 216 cfs of water make a river? And thats 100%....

idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012   #3
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
The green boat is really just a race boat... Which im sure you know. From some one who just moved to co from growing up in the southeast.. It's a river for sure and it runs more days than not a year.. And when all of these companies are based around it..pyranna is 30 minutes away LL is 15 away wavesport,dagger are 1 hour away..
Why not test there
MikeThulin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012   #4
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Probably time for some updates to boat names and types. I mean, everything was just whitewater Kayak 20 years ago and just kayak before that. Steep creeks, big creeks, small rivers, and the like suggest that hydrology becomes more important than the idea of either "playing" o "running" or even "creeking." As far as R&D is concerned, I would think that not all boats are designed with just the Green in mind. The Karma was reported to have been field tested all around the nation before final design was settled.
On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote