Old 10-24-2011   #21
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I wouldn't call this the worst idea ever. I agree with the guys that say "Just rent an 18'", but I understand that your budget won't allow for that option. And to the guys that say "just rent", well, this sport was founded on just trying things until they found something that worked.

By my rough, math-minded, guess, you should carry and handle something like a 16' raft. It won't be pretty, but it should work. Let's figure that a 16' raft carries up to 3,000 lb, and the 15' tubes are in the 2,000 lb range. That IK should be good for at least another 500 lb of float. If it lines up like you say it does, give 'er. I didn't see anything in the rule book for the Grand that blocked odd creations. I don't know that I'd have that strapped under when you were on the ramp when talking to the rangers, but that's a separate story.

What is your plan for docking and undocking the tender? I'm just thinking of the moment when you undock it and the rest of the cat suddenly sinks 3-4". I imagine that you'll have a blast getting the IK back under the frame.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #22
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Can you inflate it in situ?

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #23
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'll consider the vertical pin. It would be nice if i could do both u-bolt and backup pin but the u-bolts in the way.

About the duck, all three valves are at the stern easy to access by loosening then rotating the stern 'trailer' frame in, like the 2nd picture that the Miss's posted. Seems the reassembling will be a breeze after a side mission.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #24
portland, Oregon
Maybe slippage is not an issue. But i tried using lopros and pipe to make a cantilever hammock holder and they seemed to slip a lot easier than i thought. I would assume 1000 lbs of gear spread across two lopros and a short lever arm might create some torque, maybe nowhere near as much as a 230 lb guy with a 4' lever arm

Ive heard of people overtorquing the ubolts and snapping them. Not sure what the torque limits are per nrs.

I suppose if you flipped the lowpro nrs text down, set onto a drill press, and drilled about 3/8" into it (but not through it) you could theoretically drill a hole through the pipe and use a pin through the pipe sandwedged between the ubolt and the end of the drill hole. But it would be hard to align two holes in the same pipe for mating to the front and back lopro

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Old 10-25-2011   #25
portland, Oregon
Just make sure whatever you do boat wise not to overload your cat and make for a lot of extra work due to its crappy handling when overloaded. Your 15'/23" tubes is really a 12 or 13' boat. Sticking a floor under it will maybe make it more like a 14' but will cause you to lose the handling and wave punching benefits of the cat

I tried to take an overloaded 14' nrs gear cat (25" tubes) down the MFS once and will never make that mistake again

From the pics i've seen, i'd be willing to bet there are a lot of spots on the Grand that can ruin a day if you cant maneuver your boat

If you can pack the boat like you are backpacking instead of car camping might make for a much better overall experience.
Old 10-25-2011   #26
I had a friend do that on the Grand. He didn't have any problems, in fact, I think he used the ducky for extra beer storage.
jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #27
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
It's a bit unconventional but it should provide extra float at the expense of reduced wave punching and increased drag. Making it a lot more like a round raft, but hey, worst case you roll it up and drink your beer first and save the booze for later in the trip. (powered mixers and hard liquor save a lot of weight compared to all beer).

I dig your frame - is it 7 bays? That is a lot of storage on a cat that size. I like the extra hinged bays to deal with tube rise. The side rail setup is also a neat idea to use off the shelf parts. If you have the time I would make walking boards for the sides. I used pressure treated plywood and deck finishing paint for mine. They have been great to have - they make loading/unloading and getting on/off the boat at camp so much more pleasant. Also in that department get muck/cement/rain boots, the tall ones. They rock in camp - your feet stay dry, sand free and warm - you can wade out to the boats for whatever you need, and a soft floor in a raft doesn't equal a soaked foot after you are in your dry camp clothes. They were the money accessory on my november grand trip.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #28
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I wouldn't count on just adding the boat loading capacity of a ducky to your cat loading capacity. How do you come up with +450 lbs? Can you picture a ducky with 450 lbs in it? Anyways, does the load fully bear on the ducky? If so I'd say you've added 200-250 lbs capacity tops, probably a bit less although I can't really put the physics I'm picturing to words.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #29
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I have a lynx II and it holds my over 200 lbs with clothes on plus another 75 lbs of stuff for week longs trips with ease. I don't think it would hold 450 lbs very well though.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #30
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'd be worried about getting my leg caught between one of the tubes and the ducky. Other than that why the heck not? You can always role it up or give it to one half of a fighting couple.

teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote