Drysuit...Rear Zip, Or Front Zip?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-18-2016   #1

Bozeman MT/N.GA, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2003
Drysuit...Rear Zip, Or Front Zip??

Looking into acquiring a drysuit for colder temp paddling. I do most of my paddling in NC and N GA right now. I'm using an Aire Lynx 1 IK. This time of year I'm in board shorts and a wicking tee shirt under my PFD. Looking not to break the bank, but want a quality suit that will stand up to the elements. I've found a few just doing a quick Google search....

https://www.immersionresearch.com/st...ival-dry-suit/

Stohlquist Men's Amp Kayak Drysuit | Outdoorplay.com

Kokatat Men's Tropos SuperNova Paddling Suit | Outdoorplay.com

Based on reviews online, it seems the IR brand, as well as Kokatat, are the two that stand out. Would like to hear from the members here what they think about the choices I've listed, or any suggestions you might have.

Kevin.

kevinboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Kokotat GMER
Old 07-18-2016   #3
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
95% here will tell you to get the Kokatat GMER aka: Gore-Tex Meridian with the relief zip. As you may not need the kayak tunnel in your performance IK, you may opt for the Gore-Tex Front Entry Dry Suit. You can find them used on here and CL.
Old 07-18-2016   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Kokatat mass

Check out the kokatat mass on eBay if you don't need a tunnel for a spray skirt. You can find them for a couple hundred bucks, and they are full gortex, with a bunch of pockets, socks, and the relief zipper. They even have some built in soft shin/knee guards. Basically a gmer on steroids, and since they are issued to a lot of marines, they end up on eBay brand new frequently. I love mine, it is the best suit out there for class 4-5 rubber pushing in my opinion. Also the pockets are amazingly useful. The only draw backs are that they aren't the lightest dry suit out there, but they are tough enough to handle some serious abuse.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016   #5

modesto, California
Paddling Since: 2014
Mythic Gear - Drysuits – Mythic Gear

Air Bergy - Sealguard / Sealguard Neo Suits | airbergy.com

https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/mens...in_filter=true
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecon View Post

Interesting.... never heard of Mythic Gear, but after seeing this I just did a quick search and read a half dozen reviews that are all very good, especially considering the price point. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-18-2016   #7

modesto, California
Paddling Since: 2014
A Wet-suit might work for you too
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016   #8

OC, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
Kokatat Meridian Drysuit Size Large - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap

This suit went down the Grand Canyon with me this past winter. We put in January 30. Needless to say, the inner gorge got a bit nippy. The Kokatat GMER worked well. I bought it for the Canyon but have used it a few times up here in NW Colorado to extend my boating season and have found it to be a good investment.
OCFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016   #9

Bozeman MT/N.GA, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2003
Thanks for all the suggestions and links guy's. Some mighty nice choices to pick from. The Mythic Gear option is very intriguing. Some good reviews as was stated above. The IR Arch Rival is definitely one that I really like as well. Found some good price deals on it, as well as one for sale in the classified section here. Decisions, decisions!!
kevinboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016   #10

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
I would recommend you buy the best Kokatat suit you can afford.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote