Drysuit apprehension... - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-26-2011   #21

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Have loved ALL of my drysuits over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
I'd love to get one as it would force me to wanna get out when the weather here is total crap

But since I'm 6'5 and DON'T weight 300 lbs and DO have size 16 feet I'm kinda screwed unless I do custom

I think at this point I'd be happy with a semi drysuit unless someone knows of a suit maker who offers a tall person size for a reasonable price. 6'5 230lbs
I'm 6'3 and 205, size 12 feet, and I fit the Kokatat GMER in size XL, no problem. The waist is a little large, but not so bad that it bothers me. Kokatat would have lengthened the torso and sleeves up to 2" on a Large for me for $125 and a 3 to 4-week wait, and I seriously considered it but needed the suit for a trip. You can call and ask them to lengthen an XL for you.

The Gore-Tex socks are the only thing I'm still undecided as to whether I like them better than ankle gaskets. Otherwise, I love my drysuit completely. My old Kokatat suit had ankle gaskets, and they lasted forever. The attached Gore-Tex socks seem like a potential liability, and a couple of my friends have confirmed they have had to send their suits back to Kokatat to have pinholes patched every season. Dry feet are kind of nice, but the socks bunch up in my creeking shoes and I'm skeptical of how durable they'll be over time. If they go bad, Kokatat said they can retrofit ankle gaskets if I want.

In my opinion, they are worth every penny you pay for them, and if you go cheap, you're liable to be disappointed. My last suit lasted 16 seasons, averaging probably 20-25 days/season in it: early and cold or on early self-support trips (that's where they really rock). Replaced neck and wrist gaskets a few times, sure, and the ankle gaskets only once. When it was time, I turned right around and bought another Kokatat, no problem. If you take care of them, they last a hell of a long time. Oh, and a pee zipper is a lot easier to use than trying to get through/around all that layered up stuff where a drytop and "drypants" mate together. I tried that system, not impressed.
Drysuit: get it, wear it, love it.

Old 04-26-2011   #22

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
I'd love to get one as it would force me to wanna get out when the weather here is total crap

But since I'm 6'5 and DON'T weight 300 lbs and DO have size 16 feet I'm kinda screwed unless I do custom

I think at this point I'd be happy with a semi drysuit unless someone knows of a suit maker who offers a tall person size for a reasonable price. 6'5 230lbs
I am 6'-5" and 230lbs w/ size 13 feet. I currently use a stohlquist Bpod in a XXL that fits like a glove even when layered inside. If you are interested I am selling it for cheap, email me babyface_311@hotmail.com

Drysuits
Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #23

Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Recently purchased my First GMer and agree with everything wyopadler said. Would consider this my most important piece of gear now that I see how much warmer/dryer/more comfortable it is than the top and pants combo.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #24

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
LOVE,LOVE,LOVE my Palm drysuit. I got a killer deal on it, but after having it, would pay whatever I had to in order to get one. I use it rafting a lot more than I thought I would. You can always get wet to cool off, but once you're chilled it's all over. Being cold is the worst!

Kim
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #25

Boise, Idaho
Obviously Goretex is the best, but I have heard of a lot of people being satisfied with their tropos suits as well. Kokatat is my number one brand as of right now, but I am also looking at gpods and bpods, with them being somewhere between tropos and goretex.

This is aimed at people who have used tropos OR tropos/(entrant?) and goretex: Am I going to be 500 dollars happier if I get evolution goretex as opposed to stohlquist or tropos?
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #26

Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
By my thoughts anything you get these days in the form of a drysuit is just "do you want great performance? or better than great performance?"

The whole industry is adament/dependent(as they should be) on having gear that will perform when your life depends on it, that is why I don't think you can really go wrong with any gear you see in this market these days. Be it the IR, Palm, NRS, Stohlquist, or Kokatat drysuit you are getting a product made to perform in the most extreme weather conditions(coupled with occassional epic river action).

Best idea would be to get into as many as you can, go with the one that will work best for your needs(durability, comfort, size).
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #27

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I've owned a gmer, a nrs extreme and a mission.

All are totally fine. The GMER was the most durable and I actually like the gore socks. The mission is nice but it was in the wrong size. I'm in the extremem now because it was just a screaming deal ($200) and it is well worth that. I stay dry and warm and have for 2 seasons. It will last a few more though I am looking for something with a tunnel for full on winter kayaking.

If I was a rafter i would consider the NRS suits because I am a cheapskate.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #28

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
My intent was to praise the virtues of the drysuit, almost ANY drysuit, not necessarily encourage you to go for the expense of the Kokatat GMER. If you're primarily a rafter, you don't need the tunnel/sprayskirt cover anyway. As for Gore-Tex vs. other newer materials, they all seem to be working pretty damn well. Fit, breathability, and durability are the main issues worth spending a little more for.
Old 04-26-2011   #29

Boise, Idaho
Interesting points about features being more important than brand names, especially since I just got off the phone with someone who owns an NRS event suit. He says it is drier than any other suit he has worn(breathes very well). He is pretty well tuned into the industry and agrees Kokatat does amazing things but he also said he has never seen someone stand behind their products like NRS does.

As far as I know NRS uses latex socks, which I'm not sure how much I would enjoy. However, there would probably be less bunching than a nylon sock and if I wore a liner sock it would probably work ok. Anywho, I agree that fit, breathability, and durability are all very important(in that order). That being said, I guess I had better start trying some suits on since I have never worn one...
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #30

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
www.kayakacademy.com has a ton of new & used ones right now.

no affiliation, just stumbled across the site.