Old 11-26-2010   #1
seattle, Washington
Dry top, semi-dry top, or spray top?

I mostly do sea kayaking, but am looking to get into more white water kayaking. I also do quite a bit of sailboat racing. I am looking for something to keep me dry when sailing in heavy wind and big chop, plus something that will work for kayaking and hopefully keep me dry when I roll. Would a semi-dry top like the Extrasport X-Pert Flex Semi-Dry Top (Extrasport M'S X-Pert Flex Semi Dry Top - Men's - 2009 BCS from keep me dry enough on a roll? Thanks for all your help!

heyguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010   #2
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
With a semi-dry you will get small amounts of water when you roll. If you plan on playboating I would suggest a dry top but if you are using it for sailing as well the gaskets would drive you crazy.

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #3
Davis, California
Paddling Since: 2001
I have the extrasport semi-dry top. I use it on cooler summer days for whitewater and after several rolls i get pretty wet inside. You can usually add some layering underneath to keep you a little warmer but there is definitely leakage. Otherwise it is a great top.
vetschoolboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #4
Jenks, Oklahoma
I do not know about the Extrasport semi dry tops.

But, I have used the NRS and IR semi dry tops. I found both to work pretty well for me doing WW kayaking. This includes a few rolls but no extended swims (yet). I think a lot depends on the semi dry setup, how it fits on your body and if or how much you trim. But, for sailing and cooler water a semi dry top should work out pretty good especially from the comfort level. If it is really cold water and swims will be long and brutal (both depend on your idea of cold and long) - I would go with a real dry top or suit with latex seals.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #5
Provo, Utah
It totally depends on the climate you are paddling in. I would never go back to using a semi dry top now that I have a full dry top. Next on the list for me is a dry suit then I don't have to worry about it at all.

My vote is dry top or dry suit.
afaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by afaust View Post
My vote is dry top or dry suit.
If you live in Washington, and plan to get into whitewater, at least purchase a drytop...drysuit would be ideal, but a big investment if you find whitewater isn't your thing.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010   #7
Hood River, Oregon
Check this guy out from IR: Immersion Research See Change Jacket - Austin Kayak - Product Details
Still has inner tunnel and latex wrist gaskets, yet, you can still vent the neck.
kayak2the9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010   #8
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Drysuit all the way. super comfy nongaperish mAgot wear. drysuit as in nrs, ir, kokatat

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote

dry top, gear, kayaking, rolling, sailing