Old 10-20-2008   #11
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2009
Okay...I have been looking around the web for jacket options...

Anyone have the Peak UK Deluxe...and if so, what is your take on that top?

The Peak UK Deluxe Jacket is an extremely comfortable, dry, warm four season drytop.
  • Heavy duty 3 layer X3HD material keeps you warm and dry.
  • Latex gaskets at the neck and wrists.
  • Cordura elbows and shoulders keep this drytop lasting for years.
  • Unique mesh drain system to drain water from the Cordura re-enforced areas.
  • Paddling Specific Cut
The Deluxe HD drytop is the flagship PeakUK product. Immaculate construction, hi tech fabrics, paddling specific cut, years of refinement and innovation.

bobmcclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #12
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I was also looking at this one...any owners of this top?

No one else does this! The Peak UK Combi Shortyhas latex gaskets on the sleeves and the AO2 neck keep you very warm and dry. If the water or weather gets a big cold the jacket has neo-skin sleeves that you can add on the fly! The sleeves store in the pocket on the front of the jacket. The Combi Shorty will become one of your favorite pieces of gear. One of a kind!

Features Include:
- Titannium lined neoprene detachable sleeves you can add to the jacket if the conditions get cooler.
- Storage pocket for detachable sleeves
- 2.5mm neoprene neck cuff over latex gasket for extra waterproofness
- Fully taped, latex sealed atlock constructed seams
- Aqua Out waist seal with sticky latex on the inside to prevent ride-up
- 3 layer waterproof breathable material, with the inner lining being a wear resistant knit

Old 10-20-2008   #13
NRS Flux Drytop

I've got a used NRS Flux drytop that I paddled in a few times this summer. I won it in a rodeo this May and don't really need two drytops at the moment. let me know if you're interested... I can post pictures too.

Forrest Maclean
yakapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #14
Durango, Colorado
NRS = not river stuff.... go kokatat. seriously.
durangatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #15
Weyers Cave, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2001
Send a message via AIM to Slunk
I've never bought NRS products due to several(actually all) of my yaking friends displaying extreme disdain for any of their products...
Yes it is generally cheaper to go with NrS; but cost effectiveness goes out the window when you have to buy more of their cheap stuff due to equipment failure\ Shitty product.

Dry tops are something that you really don't want to skimp on especially when dealing with the hypothermia issue... I think you should really think long an hard about saving some money by buying NRS anything; It's the difference between having a great run and having some poor bastard(s) run your lifeless, 95 degree body out of the river to the nearest medical center...

I know that I've mentioned the more extreme spectrum of possibility's, but never ever take the Wal-Mart mentality(cheap stuff from China) when dealing with your life...

Definitely take a good look at Kokatat products verses NRS crap; Its like comparing a Ferrari to a Geo Metro.
Slunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #16
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
So NRS is out...but how does the Peak UK gear compare to the NRS...we already know that Kok is the Ferrari...what I am looking for is a Nissan.
Old 10-21-2008   #17
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Also, thanks for your input...while i agree the Kok is a great jacket...if I could get it closer to 200 it may be an option...but it is tough to find a Ferrari at that price....
Old 10-21-2008   #18
There are a few reviews of our tops online. Here is the most recent one.

Paddling Life magazine -- for Paddling, Sea Kayaking, Whitewater Rafting, Kayaking, Canoeing, Kayak Fishing, Outrigger Canoe, Rec Boats and Touring, plus boating Blogs, Photos and News Clearinghouse.

If there are any specific question you have on anything in the PeakUK line I can answer for you. As for comparisons, well I have to leave that up to the less biased.

KenDriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #19
pnw, Washington
The peak looks like a fine jacket but I have never seen one on the river in Colorado or know anyone that has one so cant give you an opinion on how dry it is or how it holds up. The water is almost always cold here so I never wear a shorty. On the river its easier to cool off than it is to get warm. Maybe its warmer water where you are.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #20
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
CKS must've sold out of men's Comp LX's
BOC has a med. for $210 if you can fit in that or large for reg. price of $295:
Boulder Outdoor Center Kayaker's Store Products by Immersion Research Competition LX Dry Top L/S

Don't really know anything about Peak's products yet. There was a lot of talk last year about their creek jacket that has pads you add to shoulders/elbows but I haven't heard much since then. No idea on how their quality is long term.

You can't go wrong with IR or kokatat- but honestly you haven't even been out boating yet so there's a chance you might not like it or might get spooked and give it up. Who knows- it happens to a lot of people.
I'd say, for now, if you're not in a real hurry to get it, keep an eye out for deals. Keep checking the swap on here (there's a guy with two Kokatat Gor-tex tops on there right now- the listing is older but he might still have them). People will sell their boating gear to pay for ski/board gear.
If you need to get it right away? Buy the Peak on sale at CKS for $175. It's probably not going to be as good as an IR or Kokatat, but I think they're a fairly reputable company and it'll be a good enough drytop to get you started. If after a few years you're still sticking with it, then you can start looking again for the top of the line. Yes, I know everyone will say that it's much cheaper to lay out the $400 now than buy both- which is true, but that comes from all of our experiences of doing a similar thing. And most of the people on the buzz have been paddling for quite a while. It's hard to drop another $400 after buying all the other gear for a sport that you don't yet know if you're staying in. Hope that helps some. (And who knows, maybe you'll be on here in 4 years or so telling newbies about how great your PeakUK drytop is and that you got it at a steal for $175)
As far as the convertible goes, I wouldn't get it just because of climate. PA's water isn't going to be as cold as CO, but it's still fairly cool there (from what I remember). And like gh said, it's easier to cool down when you're out on the water. Just roll.
Good luck.

PeakUK's website for Bob or anyone else interested:

I was going to be vague but then I decided to do this other thing.
acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote