Mountain Buzz banner

Dry top neck gasket is too tight

23K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  Bob3 
#1 ·
I have never owned a dry top before, but I recently won a nice Kokatat Helix dry top in a contest; however, the neck gasket is so tight that I haven't been able to use it yet. Should I trim the gasket so I can get some blood flow to my brain? Or can these gaskets be stretched out without resorting to cutting them, and, if so, how does one do that? If I trim the neck gasket so that it will fit me now, is it going to eventually stretch out so much that it will leak later? I need some advice from those of you who have dealt with this issue. Thanks.

#2 ·
I would recommend trying to stretch it out first, cutting as a last resort. I used a 2 liter soda bottle to stretch out the neck before or maybe a coffee can, depends on how much room you need. Use anything that has a circumference similar to your neck or wrists. I left good sized coffee can in my neck gasket for a quite a while in one of my dry tops before it was usable.

If you do cut, use an exacto blade and most of them have ribs in the gasket that allow you to cut down in layers. Be careful, cut too much and it becomes a useless piece of gear.

#3 ·
I agree with Freakus..... stretch rather than cut. I use a volleyball, leave it on there for a couple days, before ever trying to wear a new one. Another great tool is one of those highway traffic cones....... you can measure where your neck size is on the cone, then stretch the gasket down to just beyond your mark and leave it. Damn, I need to acquire another one of those cones..... ;-)

#4 ·
Coffee Can

Yep, I agree with Freakus too. Cuttting as a last resort. And I agree with the coffee can too, that's what I used, left it in the neck gasket for about 4 days. Fits great, I can breathe, and no leaks.

- Alex

#7 ·
For stretching, measure your neck circumference and find a round object that is an inch or two larger to stretch on. I just used my thumb and middle finger on each hand to get a close enough estimate. Too small of an object won't do the trick and too large might stretch too much. I'd also consider doing the wrist gaskets the same way. Stretch on something just a bit bigger than your wrists.

I did this with a kokatat drysuit and it worked for me.

#9 ·
My experience with latex gaskets

I wear a size XL dry top.

I am a over the hill boater who has purchased many dry tops and several dry suits over the several decades I have been boating.

The only dry or semi dry top I have ever had that did not require cutting was a IR semi dry shorty dry top I just purchased a month ago. It had the neoprene neck and arm gaskets and I was able to stretch both out over a period of several weeks.

I just purchased a Kokotat Rogue Dry top. This is the second one I have purchased over the years. I stretched the latex for a week over various sized cans hoping it would stretch out so I could get it over my head and hands. I ended up having to cut the wrist gaskets quite a bit and the neck gasket quite a bit.

Over the years I have used a lot of Stolquist dry tops and one dry suit and had to do the cut routine on all of them.

I weigh in around 215 lbs, 17 1/2 inch neck and wear a regular size XL shirt.

What I have done lately is after doing the stretch latex routine (hoping it would stretch out) then carefully cut the neck and wrist gaskets with a pair of sharp scissors, being very careful to not cut a nick.

I have attempted to do the razor blade routine and at least for me the scissors work better for a smooth cut.

Since I have to cut latex anyway after the test put on, it seems to me that it is best to cut latex right out of the box so you do not over stress the stretch factor of the latex. But, like I said above lately I have been doing the stretch first hoping to get a reasonable fit, but have always had to end up cutting latex.

#14 ·
I wear a size XL dry top.

I am a over the hill boater who has purchased many dry tops and several dry suits over the several decades I have been boating.

The only dry or semi dry top I have ever had that did not require cutting was a IR semi dry shorty dry top I just purchased a month ago. It had the neoprene neck and arm gaskets and I was able to stretch both out over a period of several weeks.

I just purchased a Kokotat Rogue Dry top. This is the second one I have purchased over the years. I stretched the latex for a week over various sized cans hoping it would stretch out so I could get it over my head and hands. I ended up having to cut the wrist gaskets quite a bit and the neck gasket quite a bit.

Over the years I have used a lot of Stolquist dry tops and one dry suit and had to do the cut routine on all of them.

I weigh in around 215 lbs, 17 1/2 inch neck and wear a regular size XL shirt.

What I have done lately is after doing the stretch latex routine (hoping it would stretch out) then carefully cut the neck and wrist gaskets with a pair of sharp scissors, being very careful to not cut a nick.

I have attempted to do the razor blade routine and at least for me the scissors work better for a smooth cut.

Since I have to cut latex anyway after the test put on, it seems to me that it is best to cut latex right out of the box so you do not over stress the stretch factor of the latex. But, like I said above lately I have been doing the stretch first hoping to get a reasonable fit, but have always had to end up cutting latex.
I second this. All gaskets will stretch out, but an overly stretched gasket is a strained gasket which will be thinner and more prone to splitting. If you think the factory gasket is too tight, do not hesitate to trim some off. I am sure the manufacturers do not expect the same gasket opening to work on a small kid and a large adult. The trim lines are there for a reason. Just allow for a snug fit.

#10 ·
I really have never had a neck...

I tried the coffee can but also had to cut my neck gasket. maybe you little twig people can just stretch it out but, mine was litteraly making me pass out it was so tight.

Stretch all you need to but if its too small its too small... dont be afraid to trim. Just like building cars... you cant be afraid to start cutting shit off.

#11 ·
I really have never had a neck...
LMFAO...... :-D

Seriously, tho, the highway cone works great. You just have to "appropriate" one from the right construction zone in the middle of the night. I lost the one I had, and a volleyball just happened to be available and it worked ok, too. I have a 17 1/2" neck and have never cut a neck gasket in 20+ years of owning drysuits and drytops.

#12 ·
Give it time, it's like wearing a new pair of Hiking shoes. It all needs breakin time. But also take care of the latex gaskets, it's not fun to replace them....$$$ if you can't do it yourself. So save the trimming for later. If you start to see it splitting or small dry cracking at the ends. It time to trim little as possible to clear the cracking/splitting.

#17 ·
I'm a hulk of a paddler (>6' and >200lbs) so I've stretched quite a few gaskets in my day. This last time I sprayed some 303 on mine while stretching - seemed to help make the process go quicker (?).

Also, no downside to cutting if it's just too tight. Most quality dry tops have extra material in the gasket for this reason, and some, like the Level 6 tops, have concentric rings stamped into the gasket to guide you while cutting. The trick is always cut in small increments and try it out. Less is more.

I agree that you should stretch/try it out for several days before committing to cutting though. If my face doesn't turn red when I put it on - I know it's too loose!

#18 ·
Crazy talk!

Tight is good. I would say to not even stretch it, just tough it out. When it feels tight and weird, you'll just get a little high from the hypoxia. The feeling of a tight neck gasket is one of the best feelings out there. It's the exact opposite of the feeling of icy water leaking down your neck. Savor that feeling while you can.

Don't stretch it, don't cut it. Be tough; try and enjoy it.

#20 ·
Its a dilemma that i have yet to tackle this spring. I have a new NRS drytop from last season, and was getting choked out the several times I used it. (It is otherwise pretty cherry.) The custy service guy at NRS advised stretching with their products, but maybe i didnt up the circumference enough.
I dont know if i will cut my new top , because my old stohlquist top, I didnt cut it precisely enough, even though i thought I was very careful, and there is minuscule serrations or unevenness to the edge, and it has rubbed my neck raw for a couple years now. It looked like someone tried to strangle me, with a 'ligature' line on my neck :] I just plain avoid wearing it when possible, but it sure aint the time of year for that type of thinking!
so my .2 is be careful cutting !!!

#21 ·
Seems like I used a football and tried to wear for a half hour every night or until pass out approached. Use a very sharp blade and trim carefully. Or some really good scissors if you have the lines to guide off of.

Tight is good. I would say to not even stretch it, just tough it out. When it feels tight and weird, you'll just get a little high from the hypoxia. The feeling of a tight neck gasket is one of the best feelings out there. It's the exact opposite of the feeling of icy water leaking down your neck. Savor that feeling while you can.

Don't stretch it, don't cut it. Be tough; try and enjoy it.
Seems like you like that just a little too much hypoxia boy.

#22 ·
gasket size

I realize this post has not seen any action for a few months, but the topic is always current.
One of the lesser known things advertised about dry suits is that the gaskets come in many sizes & should be sized accordingly for best fit.
Neck gaskets in particular are very important to have a proper fit; having a too-tight neck is not only uncomfortable, but downright dangerous.
Neoprene gaskets are best stretched, they will take on a permanent set.
Latex gaskets on the other hand, take on very little permanent set so in many cases it's necessary to trim them, especially when someone with a "no neck" build gets into one.
You *might* even want to replace the "standard" size Medium with a new size Large.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.