Old 03-12-2010   #21
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by lackge View Post
I have never owned a dry top before, but I recently won a nice Kokatat Helix dry top in a contest; however, the neck gasket is so tight that I haven't been able to use it yet. Should I trim the gasket so I can get some blood flow to my brain? Or can these gaskets be stretched out without resorting to cutting them, and, if so, how does one do that? If I trim the neck gasket so that it will fit me now, is it going to eventually stretch out so much that it will leak later? I need some advice from those of you who have dealt with this issue. Thanks.
Seems like I used a football and tried to wear for a half hour every night or until pass out approached. Use a very sharp blade and trim carefully. Or some really good scissors if you have the lines to guide off of.

Originally Posted by leif View Post
Tight is good. I would say to not even stretch it, just tough it out. When it feels tight and weird, you'll just get a little high from the hypoxia. The feeling of a tight neck gasket is one of the best feelings out there. It's the exact opposite of the feeling of icy water leaking down your neck. Savor that feeling while you can.

Don't stretch it, don't cut it. Be tough; try and enjoy it.
Seems like you like that just a little too much hypoxia boy.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #22
Migratory: Sacramento, Green Bay, CA, MI, WI
Paddling Since: 1958
gasket size

I realize this post has not seen any action for a few months, but the topic is always current.
One of the lesser known things advertised about dry suits is that the gaskets come in many sizes & should be sized accordingly for best fit.
Neck gaskets in particular are very important to have a proper fit; having a too-tight neck is not only uncomfortable, but downright dangerous.
Neoprene gaskets are best stretched, they will take on a permanent set.
Latex gaskets on the other hand, take on very little permanent set so in many cases it's necessary to trim them, especially when someone with a "no neck" build gets into one.
You *might* even want to replace the "standard" size Medium with a new size Large.

Bob3 is offline   Reply With Quote