Old 05-19-2009   #1
Eaton Center, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 2006
Dry suit drop-seat vs front-relief zips (women)

I've mentally prepared myself to spend the $$, and have decided to purchase a new Kokotat Goretex dry suit. The problem is there is no store nearby that I can try the different styles on.

I was wondering if the women out there who have dry suits (or the men that paddle with them) will tell me if the drop-seat relief zip is effective. I've read conflicting reviews that they are either great, or awkward/uncomfortable and you should to stay with the classic unisex/guy front zipper arrangement and the "funnel system" adapter approach.

In addition to the relief zipper issue, any comments on Kokotat Meridian drysuit (or other recommendations)? Thanks!

outdoorgirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
My wife loves her Kokotat Nova with the drop seat.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #3
Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
I have a female friend who complains about the drop seat zipper being uncomfortable to sit on. Two others both use the front relief zipper; one of them takes advantage of a small urinal and the other the NRS funnel thing. No complaints from either about the front zipper. Depending on how often one has to urinate and weather conditions should dictate whether a relief zipper is even needed. On a cold and wet day they are worth their weight in gold. What you wear under the drysuit is an important consideration also as you have to have easy access no matter what equipment you sport.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #4
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Here is a thread from a while ago on the topic: Question for you ladies with drysuits.....

I have a drysuit with the front (men's) zipper and it works great with the Freshette F.U.D. I use the F.U.D. all the time, not just when in the drysuit as it is easy to pee off the raft or shore w/o walking into the river. I happened to drop it in the river on day 18 of a Grand trip... I hesitated for a second and though... 'three more days'... I jumped in after it in late November (not wearing the drysuit at the time).

I got a great deal on a drysuit with no relief zipper. The zipper I have was retro-fitted by a shop in south Denver.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #5
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Front Zipper

Have to agree with Laurie. Love my drysuite and LOVE my FUD. Besides, it is pretty cool to stand up and pee off the cooler. Freaks people out. I've heard that the drop seat zippers are really uncomfortable in a kayak. Might not be too bad if you are rafting.

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #6
303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have the womans kokatat goretex drysuit and I decided on the front zipper for a few reasons.
1. All the girls I know around the FR have the front zipper
2. I have heard many people complain about sitting on the zipper and if you are planning on kayaking, then the zipper digs into your sides where your hip pads are as well, ouch!
3. less zippers= less chance of water coming into the suit.

Downside...the boys will tease you because you have a "strap on"

either way the drysuit is awesome!
"I would lick it up if it weren't all glassified and on concrete"
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #7
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by CUkayakGirl View Post
Downside...the boys will tease you because you have a "strap on"
Let the boys bring it on!!!

Relief zipper, with a pee thing. I don't want that big zipper along my butt, it looks big enough already! LOL! Seriously, more zipper, more leak potential, especially on the sitting zone.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote