Old 12-16-2013   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Dry Suit Booties and shoe size

I searched around for a thread like this but didn't find one, although I know there are probably many. If you know the link, feel free to post it and I'm sure that will sufficiently answer my question.

I'm having booties put on my dry suit and need some new shoes. Do you generally by ONE size up to account for the dry suit bootie? A size and a half?

On a side note - I'm pretty settled on 5.10s, but if anyone is dying to talk about a different creeking shoe that they think is superior, have at it!

Happy festivus!

"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #2
Jenks, Oklahoma
For what it is worth.

I have cold feet syndrome! Maybe it is type 2 diabetes related but it is there.

So, when dry suit sewn in feet came out, first time for me to have warm feet.

I wear thick wool sox. Bass Pro shop has a wool duck hunter sox that is the best I have found for the money. super thick tho.

For me it is at least one size larger boating shoe for winter time, sometimes two.

The only sure way is to go to a local outfitter put on your sox and lower part of the dry suit and do a test fit. My experience has been sizes vary between manufacture with the China made stuff not any where close to USA sizing.

My experience has been in the winter time I need a plenty big water shoe to have warm feet.

I have 5.10 tennies and like them. Also a couple pair of NRS big boot styles and they work really good. I find the neoprene water shoes do seem to shrink a bit over time. NRS wet shoe sizing (my experience) will vary depending on the model.

Good luck with your search, be sure the winter shoe fit inside your kayak and welcome to warm feet winter boating!!!

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #3
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
On average I have been able to stay within a half size larger of my regular shoe size when I an wearing the drysuit and have thicker socks on, and I have the reinforced fabric booties on my drysuit too.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #4
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I usually wear neoprene socks with my river shoes year round, so mine are always about a size bigger. I wore a lightweight wool sock with my dry suit, so it was about equal to wearing the neoprene. I have a wide foot, and I hate struggling with shoes, so I went pretty generous on size.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
1/2 size, maybe even same size depending on fit. You'll want it to the usable w/out drysuit too.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #6
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
I went a half size up on my Brewers. I wear smart wool socks underneath the gmer booties and I can squeeze them in to the shoe, although I have to loosen up the laces almost all the way. I didn't want to go too big because I also wanted the shoe for summer boating.
mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
My Keen gorge booties are only a half size up and they are awfully tight when putting them on dry. half sizes were not available and I figured 1.5 might have been too much, but with these I would go 1.5 up if I had it to do it again. The socks I tend to wear are not that thick.

you will love your dry feet.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #8
Paddling Since: 96
I wear heavy wool socks and I went up a size and a half with my Keens. I just treat them as my drysuit booties and use my old booties when I'm not geared for the cold cold. I would agree that trying them on over what you're going to be wearing is the best idea.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the advice. I'm think a size up will fit the bill....or bootie as the case may be...
As psyched as I am to get the booties added to my drysuit (which is what I thought I was buying from a private seller, originally) I have to say I've stayed pretty comfortable without, much to my surprise. I used to consider myself a cold water wuss (and was before I entered drysuit land), but I have mitigated the "no built in bootie" thing well. This year I used a "dry sock" from NRS when the weather started to dip, which I thought worked remarkably well, even in snow. I also, wore a good wool sock and river shoe....that being said, I'm pretty excited to get my dry suit equipped with booties...warm, dry socks at the end of the run....a beautiful thing....

Thanks again!

"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote