Old 11-22-2011   #21
Boise, Idaho
Another vote for the Kokatat GMER (Gore-tex) with relief, tunnel and booties. Picked mine up for $700 bucks at Altrec. No other way to go.

Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #22
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2002
Stay away from Palm. I feel that the stikine was a leading suit in its day, but after having some delamination problems (an issue that both the company and many users have found) their warranty has gone to the groover. Had positive dealings with the US rep, but when his contract ran out with them at the end of 2010 they moved all dealings back to the UK. Since then my issue has been delayed (by employee vacations) dealt with slow interactions (to hope that I would just go away) and the final offer of 20% off retail. Keep your money around here and if you can the Kokatat warranty is great. First time problems warrant a full pressure test and most fixes, at only the cost of shipping. NRS has been tried and true, solid warranty, but no experience with their drysuits. My money will be staying around here.

tripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011   #23
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My Palm rocks. It is Gortex, has a tunnel, socks, gaskets on the neck and wrists and it has a relief zipper. The only thing I don't like is that the zipper is in the back. It takes some serious yoga moves to zip it myself. Not sure who's brilliant design that was, but it's silly. It's great other than that, though. I love it.
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011   #24
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2002
I am not complaining at all about the design of the original product. It has served me well. Things wear, I get that. When I attempted to replace the socks at the dealers repair shop, I was told that they would not be willing to do the work because the seam delamination would prevent them from pressure testing it. I do feel that when spending over $800 (yes I paid retail so that I could have the warranty) the product should last longer than 2.5 seasons. When the US rep tells you that this has been a problem and that he would be willing to make it right but no longer has the ability, that sucks. Then the UK serve rep and manager tell you they are only able to offer you a new suit if you pick up the cost of shipping the original to UK and then paying 600 plus shipping and handling I fell wronged. Just my experience that I think others should know about.

Kclowe- I found that using door locks or canopy cover latches as anchors and a lot of zipper wax a solution to the yoga moves.
tripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #25
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Look at the "Swap" section. An outfitter has listed a bunch of $700 Kokatats.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #26
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2011
Someone asked about the stohlquist version with the neoprene neck gasket? Not sure I would use the term drysuit with that. Its more like a jumpsuit, or just a suit, or maybe even a wet suit. It is anything but dry, if u are in or under the water. If ur canoeing on a flat lake on a bright sunny day than it might be a dry suit...otherwise not so much.

If it doesn't have latex it isn't dry. I'm speaking from direct experience. Love my kokatat.
firepup21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #27
Bellevue, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Your experience is not every experience. lhowe who posts on this forum has neoprene gaskets on her drysuit, as does my father. OS Systems makes good ones. They are a different quality of neoprene than the cheaper ones found on semi-dry suits. They are as dry as any other gasket. I can't speak for stohlquist, but I know quality neoprene gaskets exist.
Alphacyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #28
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I second Kayak Academy for their upfront advice and customer service. Not to mention they usually have slightly used Kokotat suits for sale and decent prices (as well as new ones).

I have the bottom of the line Tropos with no frills (like socks or a pee zip) and it's served me well for 3 and a half years of fairly frequent use (I wear the thing all the way into June). I am however looking at upgrading soon to a Gortex suit w/ the aforementioned "frills". Not that it is of great concern for the guys- but ladies- I believe Kokotat will be discontinuing the "plum" color after Jan. Something to consider. New ladies color is moss green and for the guys it's grey....not exactly thrilling color choices but at least it's something different than "mango".....
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #29
Homer, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1987
dey suit

if you can afford a gmer, sweet
any good breathable suit will work great, but get breathable socks !!
i've tried all makes of suits, and run a school in Alaska, kokatat the only ones that stand up and stand behind all their stuff, we often have used suits on sale (but excellent condition), but gmers fly out the door.
any suit, with or without tunnel leaks some, and better a gore-tex or comparable suit with no tunnel than no suit at all
.... but don't forget, the kokatat expedition has a tunnel like the gmer, sweet hood if that works for you
surf away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #30
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
How about the IR suits. I've heard nothing but good things about it...

GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote