Old 11-19-2011   #11
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Kokatat GMER: but I got mine for less than usual. If you are on NRS' mailing list they sent out a "25% off one item" coupon last year. If you buy right around when you get the coupon then you also get 10% of what you spend back on a gift card in spring. So I paid a net of $675, no shipping no tax. I bet the same deal will be going this year. For that price it cannot be beat. Of course that deal would go for any drysuit NRS sells or anything else for that matter. A good way to get 33.5% off of a big single item.

eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011   #12
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2002
For the money the NRS suits are great, and like was mentioned before they have a great return repair policy

-Kilo Charlie

"Earn more or want less"
Kilo Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #13
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2007
NRS eVent

The jury is still out on the NRS warrantee...

I purchased an NRS eVent drysuit brand new in April. I noticed right out of the box that there were some extremely small pinhole perforations in one of the latex booties. I used the suit a few times and sure enough one of my socks would be slightly damp. Not a big deal as long as it didn't rip later on....knock on wood.
I went ahead and called NRS to report the problem in case it ever did rip. The guy I spoke with seemed skeptical that such a defect could come from the factory and reminded me that their latex isn't covered under warrantee, but that I could send it in and they would examine it. Because of my work schedule, I would need the suit 5 days a week for the next 2 months, so sending it in for a while wasn't an option. I decided to wait.
Near the end of June the booty in question fully ripped open. I had been careful to baby the booties not allowing sand or gravel to come near them, but it was inevitable that this was going to happen.
I put nearly 40 days of use on the suit and absolutely loved it. I stayed bone dry (except for the one booty), and it breathed fantastically. Now that it was warm and the suit wasn't needed, I called NRS back to inquire about a repair. The next person I spoke with told me the same story about not covering latex in the warrantee. I insisted that it came out of the box with pinhole leaks, but the guy was unwavering. Finally I suggested a compromise of sending me a new booty and I would do the labor to fix it, but to no avail. He said my only option was to ship it to them and they would diagnose if it was a factory defect or not.
Since then I've been debating to just take it to the local shop and pay $50 to get it replaced, or to spend $20 to ship it to NRS and back with the hope that they'll fix it...but with the chance that they'll decline. I'll probably send it to them in the next few days just to see what happens and report back. This will definitely affect my decisions to buy major products from NRS in the future.
windriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #14
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I would suggest looking at Kayak Academy | The Elite School For Kayakers And The Kayak Gear Store With Everything You Need
They sell Kokatat dry suits and paddling suits of all types/fabrics/price ranges. They are super knowledgeable & nice folks to deal with. You can also rent dry suits from them, so you could "test drive," a suit first before buying. Their website is loaded with good info on fabrics & styles of suits. My experience with them was very good.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #15
Jenks, Oklahoma
I purchased my last kokatat gore tex drysuit

from Kayak Academy and the entire process was about as good as it gets. Lots of upfront advice excellent service. Recommended.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #16
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
windriver, your experience seems like a unique one. NRS has always hurried to replace anything I have had come apart. Usually I'm amazed at how quickly I have a new item, and a little disappointed that they didn't try to to repair it. I bet they would repair, rather than replace, a dry suit. I am on the pro purchase program, so that might make a difference in how they treat me, but if you wear your suit for work 5 days a week, you should probably get the same treatment and prices.

Replace the sock yourself. It'll take a couple of hours and it's good practice. Make sure to buy the correct size sock from NRS so it fits the leg opening perfectly.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #17
Does anyone have experience with the Stolquilst neoprene neck gasket dry top? I am sure it would be fine for most purposes but does it hold water well enough to kayak in? A buddy of mine bought one for the grand and I may buy it from him after the trip is over.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #18
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
Originally Posted by tony View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Stolquilst neoprene neck gasket dry top? I am sure it would be fine for most purposes but does it hold water well enough to kayak in? A buddy of mine bought one for the grand and I may buy it from him after the trip is over.
I have one on my drytop, and it is only so-so. If you spend a lot of time upside down, you'll get wet in there. Great for rafting, or upright kayaking.
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #19
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I think Kokatat cost is probably a cheaper option in the long run (from my experience). I'm going on 5 years of heavy use and abuse on mine and sending it back in a couple times for the awesome Kokatat maintenance. I've had drytops from other brands and usually get a year before they start leaking like a sieve. Main disadvantage of Kokatat is the zipper in the front creates a small gap in your skirt where water can leak into your boat.

I would never buy a drysuit without booties, relief zipper, or tunnel (if you're a kayaker).
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #20
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
i had my nrs drysuit zipper come apart in the box, we duck taped my chinese death trap and hoped for the best... never going with a zipper again. ordered the two peice, Sweet protection, 3 layer pro shell goretex, prophecy jacket and pant and there savior suit, supposedely better than the material kokatat uses for the shells, the bottom and tops attatch together,plus a zipper to leak out of, but thats it. and its comfy stuff. Im pretty stoked, the gaskets are extra thick in the wrist to keep water out. which is my main problem with any drytop

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote