Old 04-21-2012   #1
DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
Drift Socks for Cats?

Have any of you fellow Cat boaters ever used a drift sock to help in those inevitable "W" storms. I'm going down the Grand soon and was thinking a little something down in the current pulling me down stream might be the greatest thing ever when the W starts. Bass Pro has them for around $50. I'm thinking it will be worth it's weight in gold.

Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012   #2
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
My cats wont wear socks but i tried a collar once

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012   #3
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
ok. Well, I tried it. Problem is when you really need the sock to drift down stream, i.e. the flats, current is going every which way. Didn't really work for me. Just start rowing, pull over and wait out the wind, or drink more beer. All work better than the drift sock.

sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012   #4
aka The Curmudgeon
Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I've been wanting to make one and try it for years. The ones for fishing/sailing have round hoops, I think you'd need an oval for skinny water, and weighted on the bottom. Maybe even use floats on top, like on water ski tow ropes of yesteryear. I did not think about the current going every which way in braided currents. Another problem. If it works, though, there should be enough downstream pull to overcome a moderate W.
Don't Wanna Die Askin' for Another Chance
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012   #5
5 gallon bucket or two works just fine. have one person trend the line for how far out it needs to be as the current changes.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012   #6
DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
The ones that are at bass pro have the weighted bottoms and floating tops. The eddy lines are what I'm worried about, I hear they're pretty nasty on the Grand. It would suck to be rowing past one and have the stupid sock drag you into a big elevator eddy. I don't know it's a good theory, but they would probably just frustrate me.
Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012   #7
Vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
I have one for my 14 foot kitty. Your thoughts are right on here. There are times when it works really well (the afternoon wind on the Deschutes River in Oregon is infamous. Most people try to be camped before 2:00 PM). What I have found personally and I have a 36 inch sock, is that a shorter tether seems to be much better than the standard tether. I found the standard tether allows the sock to go where ever it wants to and sometime that is hindrance instead of help.

I now have mine on a short leash about 6 feet and tied to the front frame cross member in between the tubes. This tends to keep the sock right in front of the nose and not too deep where weird currents effect it.

Not perfect, but when it really starts howling I do find it helps. If nothing else, at least I don`t get blown back up stream. Just pull it up before entering rapids, but I expect you already figured that one out.

I like the more beer option best myself though.....

Snowolf is offline   Reply With Quote