Old 05-23-2011   #1
morrison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
dress/wetsuit/dry/semi drysuit/slash jacket

I recently bought a used 2 person Aire IK for my daughters. I have always floated high and dry in my raft. What (wear) do they need to withstand the spring water temps on the Arkansas and Colorado?

flyfishing doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011   #2
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I wear a drysuit in the Spring. In an IK, they are going to be sitting in water all of the time. I would go with a drysuit or drypants if you can. Gets spendy, but worth it. If not that, then neoprene and lots of layers. Splash pants might help, but in a swim they just turn into anchors.

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #3
Hi, it really depends also on what type of water you plan to take them on. Bigger and harder water will equate to more wet rides and more swims. Or if you opt to stay in easier water, the experiences will be direr with less time in the water.

Drysuits are the best to stay safe, warm and dry. But are spendy and can be a little bit of a challenge for some to get on and off and to be in for long periods of time. But if you are going to be in big and cold water, it is a great thing to consider. There is that old saying. "it is always July in my drysuit."

A great option is lots of alternate layers. Booties for the feet. Neoprene pants for warmth, protection and flotation, and a splash pant to cover the neoprene when temps drop out. You can do the same for the top half too. Then consider a head heater ( neoprene cap ) to keep the heat in, just like when you ski and gloves so your hands do not stiffen up.

Bring a drybag with all these options on the water and you and your family will be the happy , warm, and less stressed party at the finish line. Enjoy
bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #4
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Heres a link to a thread I started and asked the same question. Swam a few times last weekend and was wearing poly pro pants and shirt under nrs dry top and dry pants with wool socks and river booties. Sun was out and I was fine put on a beanie hat when I got chilly skull cap would be nice to have too.

River Clothing
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote