Old 10-31-2011   #1
boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
DRE seat on a Recretec frame ? !

So I just bought a used recretec deluxe raft frame and would like to figure out someway to put a DRE mesh chair over the rear drybox. The only way that I can figure out is to have a piece of aluminum welded onto the front of the frame that holds the drybox in. My drybox is 13" and the smallest chair that DRE makes is 17.5. I called them and talked it over a little and got the answer of they have to have it in the shop to do any custom work at all.

Does anyone have any ideas, or better yet, has anyone done this before?

fireman9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #2
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I use a AAA flip seat bracket over my dry box. It's a little different than the DRE seat or the DRE seat bracket. It isn't really a fixed length so you can pretty much use it over any size dry box or cooler. Call and talk to Judi & Mark at AAA. They might be able to help you. They have done very nice work for me.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #3
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Why go to DRE or AAA, there are a few fabrication shops closer to you who could do the mods to the seat. I would also call Recretec, they do custom work as well.

Problem with mesh seats is that you need a cross bar on both sides of the dry box. By default, recretec frames don't have a bar in the back of the dry box, only the front.

If you are set on mesh seat, I'd look into a rear cross bar customization. My friend is going to do it to his recretec frame by sending the piece back to them to add the bar. Then you could weld brackets to it to the cross bar to make it swivel up and down. Then the seat would sit on the other cross bar.

Another advantage of having a cross bar on the recretec frame is hook in points for "Everything Bag" in the stern. A lot of my friends are switching to those bags now and the friend with Recretec frame can't quite balance the bag out correctly until he gets the cross bar. Hope that made sense.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #4
boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The frame has both front and rear dry box supports on the front and rear dry box.

Kazak, have you used any local fab shops at all? I was hoping that someone had done this to their frame before and could tell me if the 13" dry box is too small to put the 17.5 seat over. One of my main reasons for this is that I dont want to have to take dry boxes whenever I want to run the boat. The flip seat would let me do that.

Ill talk to AAA and see if they have done anything like this but I know thats its a long shot.
fireman9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #5
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I haven't used any local places. I don't think there is any which specialize in rafting frame manufacturing here locally in SLC. Boise is another story, I tried to look up a place I was talking about and can't find it right now. You can always call Casscades and see who they recommend for aluminum manufacturing.

Problem with going to AAA or DRE is that your project is very specialized and not seeing the frame first hand, it would be harder to create something specific that you want. I had the same problem with my captain boxes and AAA. I measured everything right, but miscommunication with AAA yielded me an inch longer boxes than I wanted. I didn't bother asking them to redo it and made it fit. I'd hate for someone else to make the same mistake.

If you can do it locally and take your boat/frame to the local shop, I think you would get better results in the end and get what you want exactly.

Boating community is much larger in Boise than Utah, so I am sure you could find a couple of places to meet your needs. I'd ask on idahowhitewater yahoo list.

Good luck!
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote