Old 04-08-2011   #11
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Sure, Whoapiglet and Kazak4x4 I'am not going to fall for that old tent trick. Go rafting with you guys and the wife had to stay home sick. I want to check your fishing tackel box'es and make sure there is not a note fron your wives to make sure you bring home some fish.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #12
that is something else! I like the bullet point

"Don't be intimidated by weight," haha that looks quality.

my BA is 62sf and weights 9 lbs. can't stand up in it though.

I'm feeling pretty lucky my wife is a good camper and doesn't need all that stuff. I need to make sure she doesn't start reading this board!

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #13
The Bitterroot, Montana
Hey Zues Cristo!!! Yoe fucking rafters bring more shit on the river to sleep on than I do when I am car camping! Toughen up and tell your bitches they are lucky you don't leave them tied to the stove to have hamburger helper ready when you get back.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #14
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Just FYI, a single roll a cot can support the weight of 2 people.... Just throwin' it out there.....
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
happy wife, happy life.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #16
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by Kendi
Just FYI, a single roll a cot can support the weight of 2 people.... Just throwin' it out there.....
Can I sleep in the tent with the two hot skinny supermodels who can share a roll-a-cot? I come pretty close to maxing out my own and wouldn't want to experience the wrath of my wife for destroying her nights sleep when the mesh tears
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #17
We use 2 cots and 4 pads and clip the top pads together, to bury the center bar, and it as good as is gets. Add a set of sheets and the Hilton can piss off.
Yes, It's excessive and anyone that would rather sleep in the dirt is more than welcome to.
Rhino Grip heavy-duty tarp clip
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #18
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
[QUOTE=kazak4x4;220790]Whoapiglet, yes man, it's worth it for me to haul the tent, the propane shower and all the goodies so the wife is happy. I am still strong enough to push my 16 footer behemoth through rapids and as far as my better half is happy, I am a happy rafter

This is my tent, Osprey:

Campsite 3 Springbar Tent @ Kirkhams

Very comfy, easy to put up and pretty warm inside. 50lbs is the pain to haul to camp every night, but hey good exercise!

If I find a solution for the two cots together, I will post here for other love birds out there "

I hate to break the bad news to you guys, but when that tent gets flattened and turned into the kiddie pool after a bad storm--the nookie will be cut off

Seriously though, you might want to bring extra guy line as that tent sits up pretty high--I know, I've seen several destroyed on the river over the years, including mine. And maybe an extra tent.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #19
Jenks, Oklahoma
I have been looking at the Springbar outfitter version for truck camping but the weight and cost have me wondering if these tents are as good and long lasting as all the testimonials say on the springbar web site.

Sorry to do a hijack of the thread, but your comments on just how well your tent works IE waterproofing, ease of setup and anything else would really help me make a decision. I am married but it is mostly me doing the camping trips and I had thought of getting the compact model for truck camping, but the springbar info allowed my roll a cot would not fit in the compact version and I would need to go larger to use the roll a cot. How well do your roll a cots fit in the version you have.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #20
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
okieboater, no clue yet, I just got the roll-a-cot, but when we used our tent I had two large pacos side by side on one side of the tent and still had half a tent free for gear. The paco pad is the exact size of the roll-a-cot, so I assume it will fit perfect in my tent.

I've read a ton of reviews on Springbar and also talked to some of my friends who had it and they all couldn't wait to tell me how much they loved theirs.

The main reason I bought mine was for durability, warmth, ease of putting it up and how strong it stands in bad weather.

On Yampa last year we got into a pretty bad storm with winds up to 50-60mph, a lot of rain and crappy conditions. I lit a couple of candles inside the tent and within 20 minutes it was toasty warm and dry inside. There is plenty of head room to be able to change your clothes standing up. We have a few clothes lines for drying clothes inside as well. It takes me about 8 minutes to put it up by myself, or even less with someone holding the other side. The downside is that you have to have a good ground to drive the stakes in, so no camping on slickrock or granite. Another downside is the size of course and the weight. It's not the smallest tent and by far not the lightest, but it is easy to put away in a duffel bag.

If I had to do it again, I'd still get a tent and have a backup regular tent for smaller trips. If my family comes along on long trips with me, I'd bring my Springbar.

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote