Old 10-16-2010   #11
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
Car that can drive itself to the takeout.

brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010   #12
San Juan Islands, Washington
To fully understand the importance of the roofrack you may need the book
The Roof-Rack Chronicles: An Honest ... - Google Books

tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Pretty sweet. I'd like to see that thing handle SW Platte River Rd. Overload! Recalculating! Blub, blub, blub...
And wouldn't the spinning laser thing get in the way of the roof rack?
I'll wait for version 2.0
mateojames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010   #14
Goshen, New York
I have a Thule on my Hyundai Accent. It is rock solid and carries bikes, kayaks, rafts (well, raft), Xmas trees, skis etc. It basically makes a small car more utilitarian than you ever dreamed possible.
rebel1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #15
Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985
Thats two catarafts and and two rafts four frames on top of the subaru plus oars paddles life jackets coolers etc..

studytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #16
up in them thar hills, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Studytime that looks like a pain the you know what...nice work, but at least get a trailer if your not into trucks, that could cause a wicked accident if something came loose. Just a thought.
CO.rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Towers, crossbars, and the accessories can usually be found fairly cheap through craigslist. Be careful with the accessories (ski, bike, boat pieces) as people seem to think they have all the pieces when they don't, or one small piece is broken, etc... The fit pieces to match the towers to your vehicle I'd buy new to make absolutely sure the fit is right. And if ya wanna get super slick and easy to take on off, I'd have the folks at Rack Attack custom install the yakima landing pads or thule Tk system onto your roof. That does mean drilling a few holes, but then you have a fixed spot to attach the bars to, and if you don't want to throw your mpg's in the hole you can take off and put the system back on in all of a minute and a half if you have another person to help lift it off the roof. (I've got the yakima system on my trucks camper roof, and with 2 bike racks, a ski rack in the winter, and box; all me and a friend have to do is unlock the towers and lift and the entire rack system comes off super quick) Just my 2 pennies.
Tele-axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #18
Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985
That all went down Lumsden Road. On the the way to the Tuolumne River from Groveland where we met up. You always want to bring the least amount of cars down that road. Its pretty rough. I have a trailer now. But I tow it with my girlfriends Tahoe.

studytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #19
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
You should talk to the Toyota dealer and find out if there's a rack designed specifically for your car. I found the Volkswagen brand rack for my Jetta on eBay for $130 and it's beefier than a Yak or Thule. It also attaches with an included torque wrench to bolts in the rain gutter. Basically, I got the factory rack and it's much higher quality than the after market racks.
I find it amusing that you knock Thule while celebrating their "factory" racks! I had one of them for my Saab 9-3 and thought it was awesome. The Saab catalog even listed both the square bars and the aero bars, like your VW has. That car had the same threads in the roof, and the towers had allen key bolts in the base that went into those threads. All in, it was pretty bomber.

OP - in regards to your Toyota, these guys haven't figured things out like the Germans (I'm calling that Saab German on the basis of it being 80% Opel) have. You'll likely have to use that system that puts an appropriately shaped rubber pad on the roof and a clamping arm in between the door and frame. It is important to get these on right: watch for imbalance of the loading force between left and right, and watch to make sure the bar is square. These two things will help those rubber pads make maximum contact, preventing the rack from peeling off the car at speed. Thule and Yakima use the same basic thinking here.

Keep in mind that 4 kayaks on the rack at speed represent at least as much aero drag as the car itself, and remember that all that force has to go through your towers.

Finally, a trick for you: find an old mountain bike tire, and cut out the tread into kind of a shed snake skin shape. Zip tie this to your bars. The bars are finished with a slippery engineering plastic, as is your kayak. The tire will make the bar non-slip, preventing you from making a massive dent in the side of your car like most other kayakers.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #20
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Having a nice rack is essential. I'm just saying...

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote