Old 05-04-2006   #1
"Do All" boat for a newbie

Hey everyone,

Sorry that I'm posting the question that ya'll probably get the most on here, but still, I am in need of some help in choosing a kayak.

I live in Virginia near the James River, which has I-IV class rapids. I've been paddling flat water for about a year, and have decided to take advantage of the great rapids that are so close to me. I weigh 175 to 180 and am 5'11".

Anyways, I am not particuarly sure of what kind of boating I want to do. They all seem really appealing right now, and I am rather sure that I would want to do all kinds. So I was thinking a "do-all" boat or whatnot.

I've been doing a fair amount of research, and so far I've come up with some ideas. Here's the list of what I have thought of so far:

1. Wavesport EZG 50
2. Wavesport Big EZ
3. Dagger Mamba 8.0
4. Dagger GT 8.1

I am open to all suggestions, however I am trying to keep my price to a somewhat low budget.

Again, sorry for posting such a repitive question, but I kinda felt that all kayakers require different things due to their size and wants/needs.

Thanks in advance

tomcat360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #2
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
I dont know, I didn't see this boat on your list but our very own newby uses it and she seems to like it, check it out:

It's got optional foot peg slots!

Really tho, go with the Ezg IMO.

FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #3
....what a freakin' sweet boat!! Just imagine the fear in the other guys faces as I paddle down the river with that....
tomcat360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #4
river guide
I know a ton of people who love both those wavesport boats, but the best thing i can tell you to do is demo as much as possible. different people like the feel of different boats.
mgloeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #5
liquid logic cr125 or the ezg50. I went with the ezg myself.

I used to paddle the crockokayak, but found it unstable and and a little squirty, but the endless cartwheels were sick and the air is HUGE!

Good luck
Jobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #6
Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1992
I'm 5'11"/175/sz10 and I love my Diesel 65 that I got almost exactly a year ago as my first whitewater boat. Very stable, maneuverable yet fast, comfy, room for gear (or even for a little camping), surfs well and forgivingly, and is good for when you want to step up a notch, and then another, and hit bigger drops and/or bigger flows. I could have gone with something more playful and with less volume, but I feel that would have been better for playboating, and not as good for serious river running fun like I've mainly been doing. You can always add an edgy little playboat for cheap later on (the playboats are easy to get used) when you have a little more experience ... I just got an old Kingpin 6.3 today -- now I have my big water/ big rapid boat (that was stable and good to learn in) and my low flow/ play spot/ fun toy.
The Mamba 8.0 might be an even better fit for people our size, I really liked the smallish 7.5 I tried in the pool once. GT 8.1 might be too big and floaty, maybe a used 7.8. If I could buy a new boat right now, as a great all-arounder I'd probably get the Pyranha Stretch M/L. I'd get used for a first boat, though -- others to consider: Liquid Logic Li'l Joe, Riot Booster 55/60, Riot Nitro (edgier/trickier but surfs great).
shaunotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #7
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
You might want to look at the Jackson Fun series (whichever one falls in your weight/height class). They're great boats. Similar to the EZG.
acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #8
You can get a ton of good info from the CKS catalog. I'm talking pages of articles on how to choose a boat, what the differences are, etc. I know, because i wrote part of it. Start there, and then come back with more specific questions so that you don't get overwhelmed with answers that are too general, and therefore not very helpful.

yes, the catalog is free. no, the website doesn't have the same articles...yet.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #9
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
That's SO it, FLOW! I see how it is-- I skip out on the Buzz for a coupla weeks, then come back to find myself unfairly aligned witha sit-on-top (<-- DON'T even think about running with that one, either)

Your ass is SO mine!!
All I have to say is you better be glad you and that smokin' brotha of yours have crazy South American travel plans, or else it'd have been GAME ON in a coupla weeks. Hmmph. And to think, just yesterday I was considering emailing you the juicy footage from my chunderiffic beatdown from a few weeks back. See if you get to see my crocokayak carnage now though, buddy!

(and no, I won't show you anything else instead, either) :P
newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #10
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
What? You said you tried it and you liked it. The sit on top that is. I was just tryin to help him out.

Dont worry, I was gonna let you in the secret sooner or later.

Seriously, tomcat, dont be scared off by newby's crococarnage stories, it's a great all around boat. You might want a little more volume for the creeks.

ps. newb-make with the footy!

FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote