Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Click Here to Register

Quick Links
Buzz Forums
Home / Portal
View by Forums
View w/o Forums
Partner's Forum
Access & Safety
Kayaking Forum
Kayak Trip Planner
Kayak Gear Talk
Rafting Forum
Rafting Gear
Rafting Trips
Snowriders' Forum
General Boating
SUP
Lost & Found
Betty Buzz
The Eddy

Photo Gallery
Creeking
Rodeo & Freestyle
Snow Riding
Member's Albums
Upload Photos
Classified Ads
Whitewater Kayaks
Kayak Accessories
Rafts/Accessories
Other Boats
Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 04-13-2010   #1

Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1997
DIY Maravia Leaking Floor Repair-advice?

I have a 1996 Maravia Williwaw 1 (14' SB). I just bought it, used, (with full knowledge) that the floor leaks.

I want to try to repair this myself. It is a laced-in floor, and where the non-inflated perimeter meets the inflated portion of the floor, the material turns ~90 degrees (more like 70*). Not everywhere, but in a lot of places there are cracks developing up and down this corner...one is so big you can hear it hissing. The rest of the boat holds air beautifully.

The old owner put Silicone caulk in some of the places, which is peeling out easily, and doesn't seem to help.

I spoke to Maravia, and they recommend Bias Tape. I know nothing about repairing rafts (especially PVC/Urethane) but I'm good with tools and can be fairly meticulous.

What do you think? I'm thinking getting all of the silicone out, cleaning the area with a brush and MEK. then applying the bias tape with a (hopefully) one step glue.

any other ideas? a new floor from maravia is $1000, so if I could repair it to make it last a year or two that would be great. i got the boat for a good deal, so I'm not to stressed.

thanks!

Old 04-13-2010   #2

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Sounds like you are on the right track. I would do exactly what the guys at maravia told you. They have repaired hundreds of older boats like yours. I would suggest applying the two part urethane they sell on top the bais tape repair after it has cured. That stuff will hold air by itself and will reinforce your fix by a large factor. It is a little pricey but worth the money. They recommend it for the repair of pinhole leaks by itself.

Old 04-13-2010   #3

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
anyone have experience using Aquaseal for this type of fix? Seems to work great on everything else --- heck I've even used it to fix nylon gym bags where the strap started to tear off the bag ......

but I have no experience with it patching Maravia floors so I'd defer to them ...
Old 04-13-2010   #4

Centennial, Colorado
You can patch those spots as you would a normal leak as well. If you have a lot of area to clean up a dremel with a sanding spool on it works really well. I bought a 1992 Maravia, before I bought a pump, so i found out the hard way that it is always better to buy a pump first, then a boat. ~ 85 patches later, the floor holds air for the entire day. At least I have a good training boat if new people want to learn...
Old 04-13-2010   #5

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Aqua seal doesn't have any uv protection in it. It is clear and will degrade in sunlight after too long. I tried some on a yeti seat pad(pos) that got torn. It yellowed and got stiff within the summer. Don't think it would be a good long term solution for raft repair.
Old 04-13-2010   #6

Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1997
cool. thanks for the advice. I do have a dremel, and that's a good idea. the silicone on there is going to make the job a little harder.

Thanks to all. I'll look into the urethane coating that Maravia sells.

Otherwise, the boat looks great. huge tubes, holds air, only a patch or two on the floor and one on the boat.
Old 04-14-2010   #7

Whitefish, Montana
Hi a couple of questions related to this type of issue, I bought a 1991 Maravia Ranger floor has a slow leak ( pin hole) but holds air overnight. Got a great deal on it and I'm psyched

I just cleaned and scrubbed it with boat cleaner and then 303'd the snot out of it. It holds air great everywhere else. There are a some frame marks from the emt frame that I could not get out (not hugely woried it's a different style home made EMT frame which has bars inside the tubes that's where the rub is) Hope to have gary build me a frame soon.

One thing that I have noticed is the rubber on the tubes seems to be a tiny bit abrasive I assume this is just an age thing, I don't exactly know how to describe it other than abrasive and not "shiny/smooth" from what I read in other posts it doesn't seem to be white like it's oxidizing is this something I should be worried about??

Wish it would stop snowing here
thanks
Old 04-14-2010   #8

Centennial, Colorado
Maravia adds a sand to their coating so that the boats aren't slippery. Nothing to worry about.
Old 04-14-2010   #9

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutfish View Post
....1991 Maravia Ranger.... the rubber on the tubes seems to be a tiny bit abrasive I assume this is just an age thing, I don't exactly know how to describe it other than abrasive and not "shiny/smooth"
I have an 1989 Maravia (bought new and going strong). It has always had a bit of texture, mostly on top of the tubes. I believe Maravia did that on purpose when they sprayed on the urethane so the tubes wouldn't be so slippery.
Old 04-14-2010   #10

Whitefish, Montana
Man I love the buzz you can find answers to anything

THANKS