Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 04-02-2011   #1
Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
DIY-adding gear clip in points inside the stern of my Kayak

Today was so nice and I was a little salty about not getting to get out and paddle I decided to work on something I had had in my mind for a while.

I really wanted a way to be able to clip gear (dry bag, pin kit, breakdown paddle) in to the stern of my boat. I wanted it to ride deeper then the loops that come from the factory on the inside rear of the cockpit rim. I always didn't like the idea of having a biner clipped into where I slide out in a wet exit, as a climber I have seen binners do funny things unclipping and clipping in the most inopportune times (even lockers). I also wanted to be able to clip my breakdown paddle deep inside so it wasn't able to slide forward and possibly coming out in a swim. These points will also be nice for overnight self-support trips when I have a lot of stuff in the boat.

I know this is a little nerdy but this is my solution and I thought I'd share it with you all for whatever it's worth.

This is on my Jackson Super Hero but should work on most any any boat with a foam rear bulk head.

1) I carefully removed the rear bulk head foam from my boat.

2) I figured out the desired location of clip points on foam. I put two up front and one in the very end of the stern and marked points with sharpie.

3) I then poked two holes through the foam with a long screw driver.

[IMG]IMG_0672 by Peter Holcombe, on Flickr[/IMG]

4) I got six 1-1.5 inch washers and drilled two small holes on either side of the main hole. (See next pic)

5) I then used 300 pound monofilament with double crimps (leftover from another project, cord could work but might not be as clean looking) and made a loop. Then I threaded the ends through the washer and through the foam and crimped the crimps in place.

IMG_0674 by Peter Holcombe, on Flickr

6) I then did the reverse of this on the other side but also used one more crimp to close off the two ends of monofilament into a loop on this side. this gives a clip-in on both sides of the bulk head. The washers keep the mono. from possibly pulling through the foam. Then trimmed off the excess ends of mono. to make a clean loop.

IMG_0677 by Peter Holcombe, on Flickr

Here is what it looked like before going back in the boat. There is one point on each side to keep things even and balanced.

IMG_0678 by Peter Holcombe, on Flickr

Here is a view once all is back in place in the boat.

IMG_0682 by Peter Holcombe, on Flickr

IMG_0681 by Peter Holcombe, on Flickr

Let me know if any of this is not clear?

peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote