Old 08-24-2010   #11
Jenks, Oklahoma
sandbar manufacturing fire pan

Originally Posted by raferguson1 View Post

As a canoeist, the huge fire pans carried on rafts are not realistic. There is a Partner Steel Mini Fire Pan available, telescopes to make it smaller. I would still need to make legs for it, although the ad for it suggests rocks to keep it off the ground.

Thanks in advance,

I am a kayaker, rafter and open boater.

I have one of the big recretech fire pans for the raft and it is big time heavy. It does the job just weights a ton! Looking for lighter weight fire pan, I purchased one of the partner steel mini pans as well. It works but balancing it on stones is required to get it off the ground and is sketchy at best. I like it, but the version I have is rusting big time.

I am getting ready for a canoe trip and needed a fire pan for exactly the same reasons you mention.

I just purchased a firepan made by Sandbar Manufacturing just for my canoe trips. I suspect I will end up taking it on most of my raft trips as well due to the light weight (equals more ice for Corona's). The pan is made out of stainless steel is on legs and looks like it meets the ranger requirements. Should last for ever. Check it out at
Ultra-portable camping, rafting, and outdoor cooking products.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #12
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
That looks like an awesome firepan. How much did it cost? Did you buy directly from Sandbar or through someone else. I need a firepan that will fit two 12in. dutch ovens side by side. Not sure they'll fit in the Sandbar firepan at 20 X 15 in. Hmmmm.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #13
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
I use a steam table tray like S/S Full Size 14.5 Qt Steam Table Pan, 4" Deep E20124 | Stainless Steel Full Size Food Pan - Wasserstrom Restaurant Supply which is large enough for a single 12" DO. I pack the fireblanket, folding shovel, sven saw, small grill (from portable weber), and DO lid lifter inside covered with a standard lid. Props up on rocks, or better yet empty cans and stows nicely in the dropbag on the boat.
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #14
sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
I use a old table top grill that once used the small green propane bottles. It has a lid, the legs fold up to hold the lid on and keep it 4 inches off the ground. It has removable grills for when you want a fire, that also work awesome when you add brickets to grill. You can put the lid upside down and use it with a 10 inch dutch (suported with rocks). With brickets in the grill you can put the lid on and use it as a oven, for patato's. I just picked up a second one at a thrift shop for 3 dollars. I just took out the regulator and use it as a fire pan. I take it camping for no trace camping. I keep everything I need inside it, fire blanket, hatchet, paper, grill brush, tongs, and starter fluid. It will fit in a small bag. Like this one. I have had 8 people sitting around it just fine
joecoolives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #15
logan, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I am launching early sept and talked to the dino office yesterday. they said two oil pans will work.

jquinn79 is offline   Reply With Quote

dinosaur, fire pan, lodore