Old 07-29-2009   #1
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Diminishing tubes or not?

I have had my old Riken Nez Perce 16 footer for 4 years now and really enjoy it on rivers such as Green, Colorado, Dolores and Snake. I am thinking of upgrading to something brand new and wondering if I should go with the same boat (NRS Nez Perce 16 footer, diminishing tubes) or go with something like NRS Expedition 16, normal tubes?

Any pros/cons you guys could suggest? I only rafted on my Riken, haven't had experience with normal tubes before.

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #2
Golden, Colorado
Year old post, but does anyone have an opinion on the NRS Nez Perce vs the E-160? Pros/Cons?

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #3
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
160E will be able to carry a little more weight in the bow/stern due to the increased floatation. On the other hand, Nez will have more volume bow/stern. Also, I prefer the handling of the tapered tube design over the constant tube diameter boats. The tapered tubes tend to punch through waves vs. riding up them. It's kind of a submarine effect.

I don't know what the quality of Rikens is like these days. I know they were bomber for years- my raft is an 18' 1985 Riken Shoshone and still has several more years of service life. I used 14' Riken Mohawks commercially that had been used day in and day out in the Royal Gorge. They were 1984-87 models, and in 2001 they were going strong. I know of at least 1 of those boats still being solid today. If the quality of today's Riken inflatables is anything like it was 25 years ago, the Riken will outlast the NRS by leaps and bounds, but that's a big "IF."
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote