Old 07-27-2010   #1
Different Playboats?

Hey Guys I was just wondering some different playboats out there and opinions of which boat is your favorite... Im a relatively small guy about 5'8" and 115-120 lbs and never tried playboating before but feel like I should learn some surfing skills and the mechanics of holes cuz its ones of my weaknesses while creeking plus I just want to try something new and a different type of boat... We have a couple okay rivers to play in with some fairly good holes and i was also thinking about taking it to the ocean playing in the waves but if i could get some thoughts, opinions and recommendations that would be GREAT!
Thanks Everyone

blissedkid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010   #2
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I agonized over which boat to get, demo'd, and finally boat a Jackson SuperStar on an impulse because the colors were sweet. After a season in it and lots of time at playparks, I think that while the boat is great, and definitely the most popular on the river, that the differences are pretty subtle. I've got friends in biscuits, projects, even seen some BlissSticks. We are all basically able to do the same moves nearly equally as well. So I'd get the cheapest one you can find.

The main thing is going to be getting a boat the right size for you. A star, biscuit 45, or project 45. If you are dying for comparo: the biscuit is probably looser and loopier, the Jackson good all around but better for cartwheeling moves than the biscuit. Projects seem to struggle with loops, but that could be just my perception.

One more thing, make sure you get your body into the correct position in the boat. Fore/aft body position really helps with everything and at your low weight for your height be sure you can get forward enough to balance. Might make a good deciding factor.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote