Old 09-23-2014   #1
Vancouver, BC
Paddling Since: 2010
Differences between Werner paddles

I was looking to buy a Werner paddle. But I was having trouble finding the right one for me. I am pretty new to paddling and I paddle mostly class 3 with some class 3+ and 4. I am looking for a good all round paddle for river running and play boating. What would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Kevin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #2
don't bogart that
Frosted Flakes N of Baytuckey, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005

best advice I got was, buy a paddle that you can replace when you loose it learning.

rpludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #3
Indian Hills, Colorado
^ Good advice for sure. The werner player bent shaft fiberglass is a great paddle. Spendy, but great. Plus, the orange blades are easy for your friends to spot when it's floating down the river without you.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #4
Vancouver, BC
Ok thanks for the advice

Old 09-23-2014   #5
BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Any Werner Fiberglass paddle would be my recommendation. The powerhouse has the biggest blade so you'll get the most power out of strokes. More blade area at the end for more power on vertical strokes. The sherpa is the same idea but a little bit smaller, so its better suited for smaller paddlers or people who want a faster cadence. Both of those are great river running paddles. The player has more area at the bottom of the blade and is better for more lateral strokes. I have used the player blade shape for my all around paddle for a few years and have had no problems.
tskoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014   #6
Keystone, Colorado
If you're still relatively new, I agree with the above post about getting a cheaper paddle. I started out with an Aquabound paddle. They're superrr cheap and very durable. They have pretty great reviews as well. Also there's a nicer carbon fiber model, and a plastic one. I beat the crap out of mine and it is still going strong. Only after two years did I upgrade to a fancy Werner. Best of luck!
Soupedupvinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014   #7
Sylva, Western North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1981
I recommend the Werner Sherpa as a good all around paddle. Stay away from cheap paddles. Even as a beginner you will feel the difference. Bent or straight shaft? I prefer bent, but try both.

Sent from my QMV7A using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Steve Pack
Sylva, NC
spack171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014   #8
Werner Desperado! Its an awesome paddle. Head and shoulders above anything else in the sub-$200 range and better than some that are much more expensive. I've had aqua-bound, seven2, and a low end AT and the Desperado feels luxurious and high-end in comparison. I now use a more expensive Werner Sidekick fiberglass but some times wonder whether its actually better than the Desperado--definitely heavier. The Desperado is definitely A-OK for what you're paddling and makes for an easy transition to a more expensive Werner carbon paddle later if you want since they have a similar weight and feel.
benR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
I've found aquabound paddles to be very fragile; it's what I started with when I was learning and any small amount of rock-bashing tended to snap them. I'd recommend a fiberglass werner.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014   #10
Vancouver, BC
Ok I'm a small person so I'm looking for a paddle with a blade that is not to big so I was thinking about getting the Sherpa