Old 08-17-2011   #1
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Difference Between Sawyer MX-G and MX-F/G?

I am in the market for a new pair of oars after breaking a Cataract in half in a flip in Velvet Falls in June and want to take advantage of the end of season sales going on right now.

I am leaning towards either the MX-G's or MX-F/G's but can't find a lot of details as to the difference between the two. Is the G worth the extra $30?

Any input would be much appreciated...

From Down River's website:

The G description:

Developed to offer the best combination of lightness and strength, the Sawyer MX-G is the ultimate oar for the whitewater enthusiast. Longitudinal fiberglass mixed with Graphite braid offers a unique torsional energy return system; the more torque put to the shaft, the tighter the braid gets; the tighter the braid gets, the more stable the longitudinal fibers. The MX-G is available with a 4 pound counter balance at no additional charge.

And the F/G description:

The MX-F/G feautures Longitudinal and hoop fiberglass tube with fiberglass braid wrap. The combination offers a strengthening torsional matrix which protects the shaft and returns your energy to the blade, where you want it. Four pounds of counter-balance in the handle lightens the oar in the lock as well as points the blade up when floating, for easy spotting if the oar goes over-board.

So they both have a longitudinal fiberglass wrap but the G has graphite. So doesn't seem to be much difference here...any input from uses of either or both?

Thanks in advance Buzzards for helping me spend smart money!

calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #2
Ton of threads on this to search.

I bought the F/Gs this spring and couldnt be happier. Tons of power and good flex. To my understanding the Gs are a bit stiffer and a little tougher but thats about it. I called and talked to Sawyer and they were very helpful spending time to have a discussion about my needs. We also had F/Gs on our 18 Grand boat from Pro this summer if that tells you anything. I think for all but the most extreme stuff the F/Gs are all anyone would need unless they want the best.

I also did the custom option which was pretty cool. Go pick out any fabric you want and send them 1.5 yards or so, they will custom wrap so you can have your own graphics. Only like $10/ oar for that. Kind of fun having one of a kind oars.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #3
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Thanks Osprey...Just got off the phone with Bruce at Sawyer.

The G denotes graphite/carbon reinforcement and yes they are stronger/stiffer than the F/G's.

The F/G denotes FiberGlass reinforcement.

He says it's about 50/50 with commercial guides that run G's or F/G's. They are both great performing oars.

Yeah, I like the idea of the custom wrap but want the sale price so will have to settle for what is available...
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #4
I forgot they only do that on in stock. I wanted the S size anyway so I could still use my carlisles as back up.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote