Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Click Here to Register

Quick Links
Buzz Forums
Home / Portal
View by Forums
View w/o Forums
Partner's Forum
Access & Safety
Kayaking Forum
Kayak Trip Planner
Kayak Gear Talk
Rafting Forum
Rafting Gear
Rafting Trips
Snowriders' Forum
General Boating
SUP
Lost & Found
Betty Buzz
The Eddy

Photo Gallery
Creeking
Rodeo & Freestyle
Snow Riding
Member's Albums
Upload Photos
Classified Ads
Whitewater Kayaks
Kayak Accessories
Rafts/Accessories
Other Boats
Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 05-08-2006   #1

Diesel vs. Rocker vs. Jefe

Age old question... For those of you who have paddled two or all three...

I am looking to get into more creeks and bigger water. I am 6'5" size 14 shoe and have paddled the diesel several times. It seems like a good boat just wondering what your thoughts are on pitting these three against each other.

Old 05-08-2006   #2
gh

Not Sure, Colorado
You have to decide whether you want chines are not. If you are going hardcore on the creeking. Jefe seems to be the choice. I like the Diesel but for pure creeking the Jefe seems to get the nod. I am in the same position as you as far as moving into harder water and I have a Diesel and like it but there are probably better boats out there.

Old 05-08-2006   #3

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
I am 6'4 235lbs size 12.5 shoe and paddle the Nomad 8.5 Make sure you try that boat as well or PM me and I will get you a free demo to try out. The boat kicks arse, no doubt. Made to creek big and take huge hits. Punches holes well, fast, turns easy, very stable. Ask anyone that paddles it and they will tell you the same.

hobie
Old 05-09-2006   #4

36" inseam, size 12. I paddle the JEFE. Have been in the diesel, i liked it but the Jefe is more comfortable for lanky ass people like me and it tracks super well... boofs like a champ. I liked how the nomad 8.5 paddled but cant get comfy with the outfitting. more knee space in the jefe. Also diesel can rock out a lot of creeks, but does not have as much volume in bow or stern... doesnt resurface as quickly.
Old 05-09-2006   #5
gh

Not Sure, Colorado
One of the best comparisons I have heard of those two boats, do you think that you gave up turning ability when you went from the diesel to the jefe and what weight are you?
Old 05-10-2006   #6

I weigh 190... I have not had problems making quick turns in the jefe... in fact, i find that is edges really well with the sidecut on hte displacement hull. Ive heard small people fit in it well too, but it seems like it would sit really high on the water for them.
Old 05-10-2006   #7

jefe

I agree that the nomad is a nice boat..but it feels a little like the old cfs. the jefe is probably the best creeker out there! I would say that you should go for it. i dont like the other two.

i guess you should know that i am creeking in newengland so i dont need as much speed as you might
Old 05-10-2006   #8
gh

Not Sure, Colorado
i thought the nomad and cfs were vastly different but maybe thats just me