Old 05-02-2011   #1
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Dented in the Front of a Burn -- How to fix?

Just like it sounds. I pitoned on Escalante and dented in the front of my burn. No cracks, its in about 4-6 inches. I've seen liquidlogic and daggers pop back out by leaving it in 80+ degree weather, but since we don't have that yet, any idea's??

Leave in Sun?
Pour hot water into it to soften it and let the weight of the water push it out. (hang the boat)
hot water and push it out w/ foot or some object?

Its creeking season, I'm looking to fix it quick, and not crack it fixing

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #2
I did the same thing on black rock a few years ago. I left it in the sun and SHAM WOOOOW! It popped back out! Good luck!

Ryanrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #3
Haley Station, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2002
You can boil some water and pour it in and leave it, should do the trick. Also I find if you have electric baseboard heaters you can put it close enough that it's not too hot to the touch. I'd try either method without pushing it with an object first but if you do have to try it with something with a decent surface area. If the plastic isn't 'white' or creased it should be no problem.

Good Luck

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #4
x, x
Paddling Since: x
you could also take out the pillar, and the foot brace. I used a milwakee heat gun sold at home depot. heat up the nose of the boat all the way around going inches beyond the dent. the more you sofen the easyer it will come out with out cracking. after I heated the area well I used a 4x4 about 4' long and wraped the end in a shop rag to soften the blunt ness. stuck it down the cockpit and hit with a small sledge hammer. popped right out.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #5
pnw, Washington
Hot water did the trick for my Burn and the sun took out the rest of the dents.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #6
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
As much hot water as you can put down there. I used every pot and burner I had in the house, plus the microwave to get 8-10 gallons to pour into the nose of my Mystic. It's still holding tough after more than two years.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #7
The next zone, .
As has been said lots of hot water and before that warm it up next to a wood burning stove, heat duct, or heat gun. Then take out the seat, all the foam, and a cut off axe handle. Use a heavy sledge type hammer with a short handle to beat it out using the axe handle or 2x4 to transfer the energy... Repeat on the hot water as it cools..

I helped some of demshitz beat out dave's from the yule creek crash that same way..

Here is the vid of the crash and that burn was dented in 8"+..

"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I wouldn't worry too much about a piton dent. In my opinion, it really doesn't impact boat performance noticeably at all. If the dent doesn't pop out, just keep paddling it through the season. Keep the boat on the rack in the sun. Maybe it will pop out, maybe it won't.

I paddled a nomad with a huge piton dent in it for a while, and never noticed it. I tried the hot water solution, and it didn't work for me. Main issue I found was that that water cooled off too quickly and didn't really transfer enough heat to the plastic to get it soft enough to pop out. I boiled a huge pot of water and still didn't get it out.

I have popped out dents with the heat gun I have though. If you want to use my heat gun, (or want some help with it) let me know.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote