Old 07-18-2010   #1
Carbondale, Colorado
Deck material?

Looking for some material other than plywood to cover a storage bay and maybe even for side rail decks on my raft. Anyone have any suggestions for a good material that is available in CO?

watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #2
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
HDPE (cutting board material), you can probably find the cheapest price at a local distributor, just look at Yellow pages for plastics.

I have Polymax on the bottom of my drop bag for the ammo cans floor: PolyMax Poultry/Kennel Flooring - FarmTek pretty nice cheap alternative

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #3
Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
I used High-density polyethylene (HDPE) sheeting in 5/8" to make two deck/bench seats. Cost about $130 + router bit and some straps. It is really easy to work with. Cuts better than plywood.

I got my boards from Colorado Plastics in Louisville.
500 S. Arthur Ave. Louisville, CO 80027 1-800-398-9271 or 303-443-9271
Colorado Plastic Products

They will cut the boards to length for you. I then just cut out the notches to fit the frame.
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #4
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Timely topic, let me join in (hijack?) the questioning. I spent today reconfiguring my raft frame, it's time to make my configuration permanent (with some mods for a new drybox) and replace the junk wood I used as a "trial". I replaced all of my side decking (polymax) too, which is nice because the second time I got to get rid of all the mistakes! Now I need to make seats/decks for the two front bays (for a day-trip setup) and I am torn between this plastic and wood. I don't really want to spend the $ for plastic, but coating wood over and over is also a drag over the years. Those who have gone to plastic, is it really worth it? My large bay is about 17.5" deep, do you think the 5/8" is strong enough (it's hard to imagine it's not).
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #5
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I thought this stuff looks like it might make nice, non-slip side decks and hatches.

Seaboard™ Grip-X™ - SEABOARD GRIP-X - Order Online

I have no idea, but I'm guessing it's costly.
Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Our stuff is headed toward using 11 1/2" wide bleacher benches... Cost is not too bad, available locally, definitely lighter than plastic and wood, comes anodized, and if I do it right, it will quick release off the rails and convert to benches/counters for camp....

It should be sweet for side rails, and might work for covering a bay, but the fixed width makes it kinda tough... perhaps if the bay is either 11.5", 23, 34.5" etc wide, they could be combined? They would be super easy to fasten together to make them wider- just drill a few holes and bolt em. They would be nice and rigid too. Just make sure you splash them down before sitting on a hot day!
Zorba the Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010   #7
Engineer Civil Structural Hydraulic, Evans CO
Paddling Since: 68
Zorba is on the right path. Eastern metal sales has the stock; cut it in 84" long max sections to reduce the freight cube length+girth <130" ups criteria

System doubles as a kitchen table

HDPE breaks in year 3 with sharp edges; definite safety hazzard
Gary Strome
Friends Don't Let Friends Drive PVC Boats
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010   #8
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
Aluminum Seating, Inc. - all aluminum plank for bleacher, bench, picnic table
MARKSTAAR - Aluminum Planks - Category Details

I looked into the bleacher seat or walking planks last year but fell short on funds and haven't purchased yet. Here are two links to the companies I researched for getting the width sand lengths I needed. They can cut them in different lemgths for a 5 dollar cutting fee before they ship to make it cheaper to ship.
"I hope others think more of me than I think of myself" SL
spankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010   #9
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
If you talk nice to them and explain what you are doing then you can get them to wave the minimum order of 4 ,
MARKSTAAR - 2"x10"x18&#39; Mill Finish Aluminum Plank - Product Details is the one I picked for me. I have a 10" long frame and 18' cut 3 times is 4 ea. 4.5 ' pieces makes a space for my oar stands with 4.5 in front and behind of the oar stands.
"I hope others think more of me than I think of myself" SL
spankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #10
Moab, Utah
HDPE sheet split

if anyone wants to split cost on a full 4' x 8' sheet of 5/8" HDPE from Colorado Plastics as mentioned by PH above, i would be interested. i currently use some polyboard i bought from DRE as a bench seat on my small raft, and i want to make a similar seat for my large raft. i don't have my frame configuration figured out yet, so i have some flexibility on the amount i would need.

i also have a buddy that wants a bench seat for his frame, so splitting the full sheet 3 ways may be a possibility too.

i have a 1/8" round router bit that knocks the edges off the cut polyboard great, and i also have a cutting bit that works well for making the strap attachment slits/cuts. i would be willing to loan the router and bits to whomever i split the sheet with.

PM me if interested. later.

pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote