Old 08-11-2010   #11
I have had 1/2" HDPE on my Puma decks for over 10 years - it has never cracked; the only issue was some sagging, as the frame does not have cross bars, so I had to put in some aluminum support straps. However, I just put a large deck on the front of my 16' Hyside - went with the 3/4" and it is supported by the frame on all 4 sides. I got "starboard" which is the marine version for UV exposure and it has more texture than some. Routed slots for straps and attachment points and beveled the edges - it looks great, no maintenance and I am very happy with it so far. It is heavy compared to wood, but really, in the big picture it's negligible compared to dryboxes, cooler, etc.

Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #12
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
I did 12' side rails on my cat out of bleacher seating/decking. It is awesome. I thought about using cutting board, but the spans were too big to cover without sagging and that stuff is HEAVY! If you are serious about doing bleachers (or any other kind of aluminum) check with Alreco. They're in the metro area, and specialize in recycled aluminum. They're cheap and will cut for you. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Zorba the Geek View Post
Our stuff is headed toward using 11 1/2" wide bleacher benches... Cost is not too bad, available locally, definitely lighter than plastic and wood, comes anodized, and if I do it right, it will quick release off the rails and convert to benches/counters for camp....

It should be sweet for side rails, and might work for covering a bay, but the fixed width makes it kinda tough... perhaps if the bay is either 11.5", 23, 34.5" etc wide, they could be combined? They would be super easy to fasten together to make them wider- just drill a few holes and bolt em. They would be nice and rigid too. Just make sure you splash them down before sitting on a hot day!

caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #13
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
1/8" Al diamond plate is my preferred choice.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote