Mountain Buzz banner

Dagger Transition Kayak? Good for small guy?

Tags
kayaking
20K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bobbuilds 
#1 ·
Hey all, I'm hoping to pop my cherry into WW kayaking this spring and there's a cheap Dagger Transition I can afford right now. Some of the reviews say it's too much boat for a lighter guy, (I'm 145 lbs and 5 ft 8, though strong and athletic for my size) while others say it's a great all around boat. Anyone that has experience with this boat your thoughts are appreciated. I'm looking for and all around boat to get some river time on, mostly to see if river kayaking is a source for me. Either way I'll be likely only paddling this boat one season. Just want to learn to roll and get introduced before I buy a dream boat.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and happy Friday.

Eric

Not that size is everything......

#2 ·
my thoughts are it is a creek type boat and 10' long. you say you want to find out if kayaking is your thing and only paddling this boat for 1 season. i'll bet its your only season if you paddle a boat of this nature. it looks like an rpm on crack. it is hudge. you will get your ass kicked in a river, especially the poudre. it will work for lake and pools and class 2 but i think this boat would be huge for you, and uncomfortable. if you want a creek boat just know they take the most getting used to and have a displacment hull so they are not too stable off the bat. i have a pyrana micro 245 creek boat you can have for 50 bucks. must take both boats though, 1 is welded the other is cracked and only a parts boat. it will get you started and its loads shorter than this behemoth! Dagger Transition

for comparisson.. http://www.eddyflower.com/ShowBoat.aspx?BoatId=270

#3 ·
Don't do it. The Transition is a lousy boat. I don't agree that it is a Creek boat (anything can be, though). It is a river runner, but it is a POS. It is like a fusion of a cigar up front with a slicey sharp edge tail end, and it makes for a volatile behavior. The boat had the nickname "Transition you upside down". It is fast, but it was one of the least favorite boats that I ever owned (got rid of it after a half-season). Buy something else. My recommended list remians:

Diesel
Burn
Y
Hero
Habitat
Rocker

or buy a new JK Villian S.

#4 ·
There is a red EZ listed in the "all around" boats of the swap section on this forum out of Denver. It is an excellent entry level boat that would likely give you several years (although a boat and a half for $50 is a damn good deal if it floats) of Class III-IV boating and a good cross over for river running and play. I started in a boat to big for me (and still have it because I am cheap) and I feel it has held me back. I am 5'8" and 155 and in a 60+ gallon boat (Transformer T3). A big thing I find with larger boats is your seating position becomes an issue more than the size of the boat itself. You may have to do some outfitting changes for a big boat such as raising the seat, which can compromise your ability to roll it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.