Dagger Mamba Leaks - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-16-2016   #1

Denver, Colorado
Dagger Mamba Leaks

My 2014 Dagger Mamba seems to leak and I'm not sure where to start to make it more watertight. Does anyone have any recommendations?

LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I hate water in my boat and I don't get some of these savages that just accept gallons of water sloshing around in their boat.

Step one is make sure all the screws are reasonably tight. It's surprising how much water and leak through a slightly loose screw. Usually tightening is sufficient but if you're really paranoid you can put some duct tape over the screws to make sure that's not your source.

In my experience, the skirt is the big differentiator. There are two aspects that are important, the tunnel fit and the cockpit fit. I've almost always found rand skirts to be drier than bungee. Also, I find a nice tight tunnel makes a huge difference - in fact as neoprene on the tunnel of order skirts stretch, I tend to get more water in my boat.

I've been going with the Seals Pro Rand skirts. I would guess the top of the line IR skirts as good or better (but more expensive). The Seals seem to be the best bang for the buck for me. I have used it (1.4) on a large Mamba once and it was nice and dry, but you're probably best getting a rec from someone who uses that as their primary boat.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
In my experience, the skirt is the big differentiator. There are two aspects that are important, the tunnel fit and the cockpit fit. I've almost always found rand skirts to be drier than bungee. Also, I find a nice tight tunnel makes a huge difference - in fact as neoprene on the tunnel of order skirts stretch, I tend to get more water in my boat.
I absolutely agree that in my experience, if your boat doesn't have a crack, the water is probably coming from your skirt. I used to use Mountain Surf rubber rand skirts and they kept my boats bone dry. Been using the IR Lucky Charm for a few years now and the thing leaks way too much....has to do with the way the rand meets the cockpit rim on Pyranha boats. Bought an IR Klingon Empire yesterday with a bungee and my boat is dry again, yay!
Old 05-16-2016   #4

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
My Mamba also leaked & it turned out to be a small leak in the detents behind the seat (manufacturing defect) that hold the rear foam pillar in place. The rotomolding didn't slosh enough polyethylene in the small detents which lead to minimal HDPE coverage and a hole. It's hard to find unless you take a flash-light and shine it from the inside of the boat out because it was deep in the depression.

It took me years to figure out why my boat leaked, especially since it only leaked in high-water & after rolling. I had checked my skirts & the screws on the boat but it kept leaking till I accidentally found the hole.

My fix was to borrow a small P-Tex iron and use some ski P-Tex to fix it.
manelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #5

Fort Collins, CO
My 2009 Mamba leaked like a sieve. Turned out my spray skirt was too big. I bought a new IR Lucky Charm, the correct size, and this cut down the leaking dramatically. Still leaks, but much less than before.
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016   #6

Crested Butte, Colorado
My 2014 Mamba leaks also. Try to tighten all the screws. I put gorilla tape on the exposed bolts on the side of the boat as well.
Sydvicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016   #7

Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Paddling Since: 2012
Check your skirt as well, they can leak by the knees where the cockpit changes angles. Also skirts can leak after a couple years in the seams.....

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Anyone tried silicone? Im on a mission to dry this boat up. Dagger Mamba 8.1 2013
boatmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
IR Royale is the answer
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016   #10

Durango, Colorado
Rubber rand skirt. Tighten all your bolts. Get some AIRE bladder tape or Tear-Aid, put it over your bolts and flame treat / shrink it.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote