Old 02-28-2016   #1
Trondheim, Norway
Dagger Axiom 8.5 VS Liquid Logic Mullet

Looking to buy one of this boats, but wich one would be the better choice?
I think the Axiom has more agressive edges than the Mullet?

Does anyone have a opinion?

Kristoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016   #2
Trondheim, Norway
Some technical specs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	222
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	11073  

Kristoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
I too had that choice. Paddled ez's and s6's over the years. Got used to the edge. Thought the mullet's tail would rock, yet have room in the bow for my legs. Well, I got the mullet. The lack of edges is a bummer to me. The tail is slow to engage, and gets quite squirrely in bigger water. I am selling it and trying again.
hpgjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Depends on how big you are and what you intend on doing with it. You intend to toss it around as much as possible? Or do you want a playful River runner?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
AndyFarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
SLC, Utarr
Paddling Since: 08
Like he says above (basically), if you're used to an edge maybe the axiom. Fun thing about the mullet is fast it is and squirt ability. I pulled a one handed bandit a la Shane Benedict's video *by accident*.
I have never had a boat this fun and mach loony fast. It's killer for getting your creeker technique dialed as any shenanigans or lazy paddling in the backseat and you are up and over. Axiom will teach similar lessons in big water.
themechanicnotthetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
I am 5'10" 185. I have paddled the Mullet, Braap, Party Braap, and Axiom 8.5. For me the Party Braap is my favorite with the Axiom a close Second. The difference is speed bow rocker. I would paddle the Party Braap on just about anything from Shoshone to Gore to Vallecito. The bow stays on top, the narrow hull allows you excellent edge control, and the squished stern allows super fun squirting, splatting and pivot turns. The Braap is also the fastest.

As a playboater I miss having the planning hull when I get to the wave, and that is why the Axiom would be my second choice. It's initial stability is great and it is pretty loose on a wave. I have not tried to paddle it on anything harder but it obviously squirts well. A planning hull will never be as fast as a displacement hull so you just need to think about your priorities.
friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
You might also look at the Braaap.

Or a pyranha Loki. It would help to know your size and other boats you've paddled and liked. If you like edges, the Loki or the Axiom would suit you better.
FallingH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Originally Posted by peterB View Post
A planning hull will never be as fast as a displacement hull so you just need to think about your priorities.
I'm curious about this statement, as the 9R is a planing hull and also considered about the fastest 9' and under kayak.
bystander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Riley has had the prototype Jackson Kayak Antix for the last several weeks.

I dont think he'll ever want to paddle a creek boat down Gore again.

The one he has is the small, so it's a bit tight on me, but I crammed in it for a Shoshoni lap as well as an evening session on Little D while camping in Westwater.

The boat is super fast, yet still playful and stable. The surf ferry on to the little D wave takes some quick strokes to catch; Riley nailed it every time in the Antix, while occasionally missing it in his Rock Star.

The stern edges are very different from ab traditional play boat. I have always been able to squirt a boat that was on the large end, like a super fun, but found this boat harder to squirt. I think it is just a earning curve for me. Riley at a mere 145 could squirt the heck out of it.

While he cant quite bow stall it, he can wheel it around with just double pumps in flat water.

We will both definitely be paddling the production models of the JK Antix next year.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote