Old 07-17-2009   #11
Paddling Since: 1993
go for it

I did that to an AT about 8 years ago and never had a problem with it. I used a solid piece of fiberglass rod that I sanded down to fit perfectly in the inside diameter of the shaft, once it was cut. I used marine grade epoxy to put everything together and it was bomb-proof. Good luck!

mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009   #12
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
I did something like that but I had the shaft cut twice to make it a 3 piece that way I could use it as a breakdown paddle also. You would need to drill holes and insert snap tabs. Not sure if this would work on your paddle. Mine a was a Sidewinder and there was at least 18 inches of perfect roundness in the middle.

Originally Posted by SummitAP View Post
Let's say you cut a 45 deg carbon paddle to have an insert put in and reglued in order to change the offset to 15. Is this seriously going to compromise the strength, or is that insert going to be about equal?

FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009   #13
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
But if there aren't already issues with the paddle think about how pissed you're gonna be if it doesn't work right and you just trashed your paddle. I'm with Mike, buy the one you want and keep this as a spare.
"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #14
Edmonton currently, RSA/CDN
Paddling Since: 1998

To change blade off-set and/or shorten the paddle, cut it in the middle, this is the lowest stress part of the shaft. DONT think of cutting it near the blade!

To rejoin you use an internal ferrule or composite or aluminum, alternatively use a an external sleeve that slides over the join (each should be at least 6" IMO). If you want use both methods together. Use epoxy to set them in place. If either is not the perfect diameter, use a bit of painters tape to build up small contact areas and use the expoxy liberally.

I have done this in the middle of a shaft and its issues.

Blyde is offline   Reply With Quote