Old 02-28-2010   #1
Commercial Paleontology
Curious.. Dagger Axiom

The Dagger Axiom came out a little late in the season last's sort of a new version of the RPM...has anyone spent any time in one & what are your thoughts regarding it

Thanxs for any input.

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010   #2
Jenks, Oklahoma
This question has been asked here before.

I do not have a Axiom, so take my advice for what it is worth.

Was on a Lodore trip with a bud who had just purchased a new Axiom.

He was extremely happy with the kayak. Had zero problems catching eddies in Hells Half Mile and hit a good eddy on river right just above the rock that every raft is worried about hitting.

On the big water last day, he was still very happy with the boat handling the big stuff.

sounds like a great boat for all around river running and a great surfing boat as well.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010   #3
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
I took the mid-size one on a 20-day Grand Canyon trip last April. Loved it, for that trip...... Rented, didn't buy. I paddled it every day, even the last down to Diamond, where we found one of the BEST surf waves on the river at that level. It was amazingly stable (I only got knocked over once running stuff, on a huge eddy line), FUN to surf, flat-spun way better than I thought it would, and was really easy to paddle in big water. We had upwards of 18,000 several days, including Lava, and it never even slowed down in there. It was comfy, great for rescuing swimmers, and it was a decent river-running play boat. It is definitely not for throwing ends, loops, etc. But, I could stern squirt it forever.... Think more of a planing hull RPM. I liked it, but it wouldn't be my primary play boat, and I'm not anywhere near the cutting edge of current playboating. A great second boat for long trips on big water, where catching big, fast waves on the fly is more likely than eddy-accessed steep features. Could work for stuff like the Gore race, too, as it was really fast and surfaced well. Hope this helps.
So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #4
How does the Axiom compare to the Remix?
kayakpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #5
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Originally Posted by kayakpa View Post
How does the Axiom compare to the Remix?
I paddled both. I thought the Axxiom was more "playful" yet still plenty stable. I paddled the Remix on the NF Payette, tho, so wasn't really searching for surf waves. I already had a Nomad, and the Remix didn't feel enough different. The Axxiom definitely felt more sporty, yet I would easily take it on less-steep, higher volume IV - V with confidence. The planing hull felt more fun. Am thinking of borrowing/renting the Axxiom again for a June 11 Selway trip, where they need true "safety kayakers." The one thing about the Axxiom I liked: I could be surfing or flat spinning one moment, and go chase down a swimming rafter the next, and the swimmer could grab ahold without burying my boat. Hope this helps.
So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote