Old 04-29-2014   #11
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Two more boats in that range ate the Prijon Combi and Yukon Expedition models. There are a few Combis still avail in Boukder but both have been discontinued. Really excellent boats. I have done fun trips with both. The Yukon is 14 ft long. The Combi 11 ft 8. Combi to me would be the fastest sub 12 ft exteme capable flat water enjoyable boat... it has thebsame length and width as the Tornado had but a faster hull and rear hatch.

The Yukon when it was orig made in about 1983 grew from a DR hull bottom with flared trihedral sections that made the boat very stable with high load capacity. Was made for 2 month long trips to Canada etc mixing long rivers with sea passage and Ice sheet traverses also.

We once did 200 miles Dolores to Moab 150 of which were with Yukons. 1 with Tornados in 4 days total. Super fun.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #12
layton, Utah
A bit late buy my 2 cents. I have the Ethos 10. You can fit a lot in it, but the bow storage behind the bulkhead is a pain in the ass to access. You CAN get in there. But it takes a screwdriver, and some patience. That being said, its a fantastic boat. Very easy to roll, and one of the two better for whitewater boats IMHO from the crossover category. The other being the katana. Keep in mind it does NOT handle as nimbly or easily as a more dedicated ww boat. You will have to work harder to do the same things in a crossover than you would in a creek boat. The hatch is NOT water proof, so drybag drybag drybag your gear.

There is no "one quiver" boat. Crossovers are big, and harder to maneuver. However large rivers with lots of flat slow stretches interspersed with ww are where these boats really shine!!.

Just expect to have the largest boat around you, and feel like the guy riding the aircraft carrier on normal runs if you get any crossover boat.

Sent from my MI 3W using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Strid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #13
Escanaba, Michigan
Paddling Since: 1984
I'm trying to decide between the Pyranha Fusion 9 and Jackson Rogue 9.

I spend most of my time paddling flat water, small rivers, small lakes, and love going out into Lake Michigan waves, but would also like the ability to paddle mild rapids - don't ever see myself getting into hardcore stuff at my age.

I'm about 5'4" and 125 lbs, so most boats seem like bathtubs to me. Anyone have suggestions?
d49829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #14
Plymouth, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 2012
They both have very different outfitting, with Jackson having the most unique outfitting in the industry I would wager. Some people love what Jackson does, others hate it. I'm still undecided.

Also, bear in mind right now you may paddle flat water, but once you get exposed to white water paddling flat water becomes unbearable boring!
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #15
Escanaba, Michigan
Thank you! I paddle with my better half, and she won't do whitewater. Mostly leisure paddling - some in tight places where my longer boats are harder to maneuver. We do go out in 3 - 4 ' waves on Lake Michigan, so want something that can handle rough water - just don't have many rocks to contend with.

Hoping someone who has experience with both the Fusion and Rogue can give me some insight because I'm a long way from anywhere that has them on display.
Old 08-25-2015   #16
Get two boats and make it easy

I'm from CO but have lived off and on the last 15 years in Carderock, MD. The Potomac is a fine river to paddle year round. I have two boats I leave in MD for paddling the Potomac: Dagger RPM and a Perception Mirage (a 13' old school river running). Both boats were really cheap and both serve very different needs on the Potomac. When early spring runoff pushes the Potomac to around 200,000 cfs (yes, you read that right), you will want a big boat. That same boat is really good for attaining from Old Anglers up to the Falls. The RPM is great for this time of year when water is generally low and warm and you are playing below the Falls.

In all the sports I do, people are always trying to find magic equipment that can do everything and do it well. This is understandable if you are new to a sport and dont want to fork out money for equipment you are not sure you will use. The ski that is light for mountaineering, but good for skiing inbounds. The kayak that is a river runner, creeker and play boat. The mountain bike that can be used to commute with. The truth is equipment that tries to do too much will be making a compromise and will probably be doing nothing very well.

Used kayaks are cheap. Why dont you get two boats, or eventually three boats? One that is actually fairly smooth and fast through the water and designed for flat water. And another boat that you can have fun running the Gorge? If you have a proper boat for paddling the Gorge, and if you start loving it as much as anyone, you are going to want a good boat for the job.

Yes, it would be amazing if we could all buy one piece of equipment that serves many needs, but you will be making a sacrifice in performance. Every boat manufacturer tries to tell you how their latest design does everything, but it just isn't true.
bgoogins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #17
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Fusion Connect 30 ,large

First, I don't have any experience with WW specific boats just Rec boats. Like you I wanted to get into a little action along with the flat water. I just went through the same debate between the Fusion and Remix. So many close comparisons it was hard to chose. I paddled them both on demo and like everyone else has said it such a personal opinion I can only give you mine. I went with the Fusion sz large (5'11 190lbs) mainly because the way it handled and its speed. Also, if you drop the skeg (which is much longer than the Remix)it runs as straight as an arrow(especially in windy conditions). The Fusions rear hatch is also very water tight with a ton of bulkhead storage. There is also is a ton of bow storage that can be accessed by removing 4 thumb screws. I really like the outfitting. It is the same as their WW specific boats and really (pardon the pun)connects you to the boat when you need to be. There is a lot of adjustability(maybe too much) and the padding kit that comes with will help dial it the rest of the way in. I have only had it since April of this year but have paddled it a lot and am very happy. However, given your size you might find the remix 9' option would give you quicker handling in the WW. The Remix also had some very comfortable outfitting. Hope this helps
Jmurph58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #18
Plymouth, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 2012
I imagine sitting in any full size jackson boat will give you plenty of prespective on their outfitting.
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #19
Escanaba, Michigan
Thank you! Yes, I did find enough comparative reviews online to choose the Fusion over the Remix, but haven't found any unbiased reviews on the Rogue 9, especially in comparison to the Fusion.
Old 08-25-2015   #20
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Fusion is faster and more stable than the Rogue. The only reason I would personally choose the Rogue over the Fusion is if you prefer the outfitting.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote