Mountain Buzz banner

Crossover kayak opinions wanted - 2017

8K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Damifino 
#1 ·
I am interested in 9' to 10' crossover kayak. I feel I have searched and read all info I could find over the last 4 months. I am 5' 10", 175 lbs. Plan on rivers up to class III. Maybe overnight trip but not looking for multi day support kayak/barg. Very interested in Pyranha Fusion WW River Running. Any more info on Fusion, Traverse, Katana etc etc would be appreciated.
I want a boat better then I am. Want a boat that I can grow into as I gain experience.

Thanks

#2 ·
I paddle a Fusion Medium at 5'6", 160 lbs and it fits me just about right. I do like the boat very much, but it's not super solid for real whitewater. The boat design is good, but there is no center pilar in the bow and it makes the kayak feel quite soft. Fantastic if you don't plan to go any harder than straight forward III.

Probably the best crossover on the market at the moment is the Katana for 1 and 2 day trips, and I still love the LL Stinger for marathons.

#3 ·
Thanks Logan. The reason I am leaning toward the Fusion is that I have found many opinions/reviews on the Fusion and they have been mostly positive.
But as for the other crossovers I have found very few opinions/reviews to help with my decision. Also a good portion of info I read on crossovers is from those who are making multi day/week trips down Grand Canyon (yes I'm jealous) with kayaks loaded down with much supplies which might change handling characteristics of the kayak.

Thanks again for your input.

#5 ·
I did a review of the Katana 10.4 from our Grand and Salt trips over the past year: https://www.riversports.com/dagger-katana-10-4-long-term-review/

Yes, most of my review is based on paddling it fully loaded, but the boat performs well unloaded also. You might consider the 9.7 if you're mainly going to be using it on day runs. Long story short, it paddles very similarly to the Mamba, with a little less rocker and slightly wider. Plus you can't really beat the comfort and fit of the outfitting.

#7 ·
FWIW, I own a Katana 10.4 and have used it on solo, self-support river trips up to nine days.

When shopping for a cross-over boat, I looked at the specs and realized that the volume of a 9 foot crossover boat was basically the same volume as for a medium sized creeker. So why buy a 9 foot crossover boat instead of a creeker? The creeker can hold just as much food/gear, but it will be easier to control in difficult, technical water AND you can use as a day boat, too, while learning to run harder water. However, if all you want the boat for is short 2 or 3 day trips on easier rivers (Class III or less) with long stretches of flatwater, then a 9 foot crossover with a skeg would be a better choice.

The 10 foot crossover boats all have around 100 gallons of volume, which makes them a good choice for longer multi-day trips. However, it's a lot of work to control a 10 foot crossover boat in Class IV technical water, so a creeker still might be a better choice on shorter, harder multi-day trips, such as the Illinois. Either boat would work, no doubt.

Having a hatch is really just a matter of convenience when it comes to accessing your food/gear. But since none of the hatches are truly waterproof, you still have to make sure the stuff you're carrying is protected if it gets wet.

#9 ·
I had a Karma Unlimited a couple of years ago and our son raced it at the Northwest Creeking Competition and did very well in it. I just picked up a Karma RG which is very similar, but has a drop skeg and a rear watertight compartment for overnighters. I really love this boat and am comfortable taking it out on class IV. It is also a great ocean boat which earns the "RG" rock garden label.

#10 ·
Thanks WW Family for the info. When I first started looking at kayaks I
looked hard at the Karma RG and Liquid Logic Stinger but leaned away
from that size because of the type and size of water I will be in.

My plan is to get 9' to 10' with skeg to get started and then add another
kayak (or two) to fit my needs. Might lean more toward whitewater or more toward touring..... can I say "touring" on this site..lol. But I hope to always keep the 9'/10'/skeg in my arsenal.

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.