Old 03-22-2013   #1
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Critique my Rigging!!

This was me two years ago!

This photo makes me laugh endlessly now.

I had no idea - I didn't properly inflate the raft, and we(I) didn't understand that 1 person drives! We cartwheeled on down in the sleet/hail/rain/wind both trying to steer. It was 2 stooges!

I tell people of this first adventure and the reaction is always: "People had to be laughing at you" but no, there were no people there. It rained hard with 50+ MPH winds the night before, we got soaked, and we were pretty hardened campers/backpackers if never before overnight rafters at the time. We did talk to Mr. Cooper for the permit and he warned us the weather would be the same for the next 3 days, which is why there were no witnesses. We'd seen the weather an knew.

I had just bought my first raft, but had been reading about/researching this canyon for years. I got the raft after the permit lottery, but it was flowing that April, before lottery season when you can get a walk-in permit. Not going then meant possibly not seeing this river for another year.

We luckily had no problems on the river and the scariest/most dangerous incident occurred when I was nearly struck by a rattlesnake (in 40 degree snowy weather!!). Lucky for me the thing must have been severely slowed by the cold! It had energy to buzz and was inches from my unprotected foot (note the wool socks in tevas).

I would never recommend such idiocy to anyone, but wouldn't take that trip back for anything!

Hope you got a laugh! I'm much better now I swear!

Issip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #2
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
I hope you have a better rain jacket!

jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #3
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Nothin wrong except for the socks
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #4
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
Good on ya for putting this pic up. Being able to look back and laugh at one's own haplessness is a fine attribute! I especially like the rubbermaid container, I've not seen that run before. Glad you had fun and are getting it dialed in...
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #5
C. Springs, Colorado
Thanks for sharing. The best part of the picture is showing you bought a top of the line boat to keep you safe out there. Money well spent........ as you found out.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #6
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Oh man that's awesome... I definitely was laughed at while rigging at the put in for the first 2 years... Maybe still today.
Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #7
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
4 Days ago...

Thanks all, the Puma is an awesome raft!

Here's what I'm doing now, I have never seen anyone with a similar setup so I'm not sure if there's something huge I'm overlooking, but so far this seems to be working out well.

I have a YETI cooler that replaces the rear thwart, I use 4 cams to strap it through the laces just like a thwart. For other gear I run a loop of webbing between the laces about halfway between the cooler and the front thwart so I can tie off or beaner all the dry bags, toilet, water jug, pump, etc. to a short piece of accessory chord in the middle, keeping all the ropes short and in the bottom center floor and under the gear to reduce entanglement in a flip.

One positive is that all of this fits into a Chevy Prism for easy shuttle.

I'm sure improvement is possible and I'm happy for ideas or constructive criticism if it can help improve my setup!
Issip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #8
Aurora, Oregon
Paddling Since: 5

My hats off to you for sharing you first river trip. So often, we seem to get way to caught up in trivial details. (what's the best size water jug? 2 1/2 or 5 gallon?, what's the best stove? ect. ect) Your story is a great reminder that the most important thing is get out on those river adventures and have FUN!!
herdsire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013   #9
Lake City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I just saw you on the river two days ago. I was in the group with two red aires a blue RMR and a orange aire ducky.

doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote