Old 06-30-2008   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Creekin' Gloves & Elbow Pads

Anyone use those NRS creek gloves? I'm thinking that continuing to bash the hell out of my hands may not be such a good idea for long term mobility. Suggestions on gloves?

What about elbow pads? Any recommendations on something that isn't too bulky or restrictive? I saw Nick's post from last year, anything new out there?

JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008   #2
I use the NRS creeker gloves. Love 'em. I am a drummer so I really have to protect my hands, and the last time I got a bad gash on one of my fingers was four seasons ago right before I bought the gloves. They do wear out a little bit in the finger tips and palm after a few seasons, but I just took them to a lady that repairs gear and such. Good as new! Also, never really noticed any problems with gripping my paddle. I use these Pro-Tec elbow pads that are soft and very easy to put on and take off. Got them at CKS. Cheap and work great. -Andrew

alacy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008   #3
Indian Hills, Colorado
elbow pads. go with evs. you can find them on motorcross or bmx websites. i got mine for $17 including shipping. great pads, cover elbow to mid forearm. stay in place great.
had a buddy order some and they never got sent. dont know from what website, so just order from a more reputable vender.

i have heard mixed reviews on the gloves. good coverage but i have heard the palm or grip gets slickery.
Jace Crane
720 290 0499
crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #4
Professional Transient, See above.
NRS creek gloves, Shred ready elbow pads

NRS creek gloves, though the armor on the knuckle felt weird on my hand shape for a bit.

I like the shred ready elbow pads, as they have a sleeve for your arm to go in, in addition to have a cross-strap configuration so they stay where they're supposed to. I do not like the new NRS pads or some of the cheaper bmx pads.

I am not referring to the evs pads as suggested by crane. I don't know anything about those- they may be fantastic. no clue.

And along those lines, does anyone have any recommendations for full body armor for creeking? I hear ppl talking about the 666. Any thoughts or opinions on that?
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #5
steamboat, Colorado
Six Six One Pressure Suit, 2007 - VAL6426

$100, no tax, no shipping
the spine cover zips off
I wear medium, bought the medium and it is a little snug over my drytop
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Damn latenight, you kayaking or cage fighting? I can see the utility of shoulder protection, taken a few hits there. That suit looks intense.

My two cents... I use the fox elbow pads Nick Wigston suggested and I like them a lot. They seem to be a good balance between protection and mobility. Not too beefy (I don't feel like I really need a monster pad), but protects elbows and forearms well.

As for gloves, I prefer pogies. I feel like pogies protect my hands from most of the rock scrapes, and abuse when upside down. I think pogies are good because when you take your hands off the blades for a rescue, you don't have to take the time to take off bulky gloves etc. I feel like I can use ropes and biners easier without gloves.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008   #7
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
I agree with deepsouth about the gloves, I have the nrs creek gloves, they look cooler than they work. One thing I very much prefer about a set of elbow pads is forearm coverage. I use my forearms (when padded) to balance off rocks in manky crap, it's more positive than your paddle blade & doesn't wear out your paddle as much!

If you want to try a set of near new creekers PM me & I'll check what size mine are (I'm thinking medium or large)

...Oh, one last thing, make sure you can't get them on dry, if you have to wet them to get them on they're just right, mine fit way tight when dry & are too big when wet.
Discover Denver, stay there!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008   #8
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have a pair of those gloves and I wear them when it's not too cold. They get a little slippery but not too bad. The thing I like least about them is that when the water is really cold they absorb it and make your hands even colder than if you had nothing on at all. I still think pogies are the way to go.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
nrs creek gloves...keep returning and getting new ones because of the great protection, but they keep wearing out on the leather between the index finger and thumb on the left glove...from rotating the paddle shaft I after 10 days out, they wear a hole, I send them back, get a new pair free...I've written to NRS about it last year, they haven't yet changed or reinforced the design...still, best glove protection out there.

ravenchaser is offline   Reply With Quote