Old 03-02-2010   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: '98
Creeker vs. River Runner/hulls

So. This is the year I'm buying a big boat. Something for early season (when my skilz are rusty), something for bigger flows (because I CAN do the upper Gauley in my big EZ, but I'm a bit gripped), and something to break into creekin' with ('cause the middle Callasaja with that Wave Sport felt like certain death).

Thing is, I'm not sure whether a full-on creeker like the Nomad is the way to go, or whether to buy a hybrid thing, like the Mamba. Those two boats, not by the way, are the two I've narrowed my search down to--AT LEAST in terms of sit-in-store comfort and product loyalty.

The volumes are similar, the lines look nearly the big question comes down to: How much a difference DOES that displacement hull make?

Yes, I DO want to get into creeking and some more winter boating back in the SE. But I don’t think I’m gonna be droppin’ gorilla. If I was a’gonna keep the waterfall excitement under, say, 20 ft or so, CAN I, then, get away with the Mamba’s planning hull without shoving my spine through my navel?

Again, I want a boat for when the water’s pushy and steep (for me), but I’m not yet sure that a full-on creeker is what I’m looking for.(I’ve only ever paddled moderate play boats like the X, the Big EZ, and a Jackson Fun)

And yes, yes, yes, I KNOW that you gotta demo before you buy. I’m just doin’ some pre-purchase homework here. Info to add to the quiver. Planning hull vs. displacement: Anybody have any feedback?

And are there any other considerations (weight, for this six ft strong-ish guy, doesn't seem to be that big a difference) I should be looking at?

Captainstargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #2
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Buy the Jackson Villain coming out. Read the thread in the Commercial Forum.

No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #3
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
How's this... Both will work great

The Mamba is a great boat. Friends of mine creek, run high volume rivers and self-support out of them, I think it can be had with the Nomad outfitting in them as well. (So it's a little beefier for creeking). It may not be better at running the gnar than a Nomad, but it's good at more things. Sounds like just what you're looking for.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
check this out.

Selling the barely used Bliss-Stick Mac for 500.00, great boat. for all around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010338.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	519.1 KB
ID:	2322  
benjicross is offline   Reply With Quote