Old 03-17-2008   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Creeker for 5'7",

Hi, I'm gonna take the plunge this year and get a creek boat. I've never really taken a look at different models, and really know nothing of them. Untill now I have always run in a riverrunner (currently an EZG50), up to easy V stuff. However this year I want to up it a level, and so I want a bloated boat . Anyway, I'll probably buy used, and wonder how much difference someone like my self will find in these different models and vintages (CFS is about as far back as I have looked). I am tempted to just sit in a couple and see what feels the best, but would like input if you all care to give it. I hope to run things such as Middle/Lower Narrows on the Poudre, love to try something like OBJ, but no Big South or Crystal Gorge runs for me yet, though I would like to be able to do a self supported overnight. Also, runs like Gore I would much rather be in my EZG, its just too much fun in that canyon! Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated! See you on the River!

arkriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #2
Boulder, Colorado
I woudl say a midium burn would be a good fit for you because you wont have to get use to a displacement hull boat. But I also think you should just look around and see what you like best. o and don't buy used the rock in colorado is sharpe.

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Thanks for the info TJ, I was just checking out manufacturers sites, and I liked the Burn. I just don't know if I can afford a new boat this year, we'll see... Are displacement hulls all that much faster than planing hulls? (Assuming rocker, length, and weight are equal)
arkriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #4
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
I'm 5'8" (used to be 5'9") and 165 lbs and have paddled both the boats you are talking about. The creeker will certainly be a good bit slower compared to most other modern creek boats these days (excluding boats like the ammo and scud). You will also be pretty big for the creeker and be sitting fairly low in the water. It would make maneuvering hard and I think you would have trouble making moves and staying on the surface (already some what difficult considering its minimal rocker). In my opinion it would be far too small given your size to do overnighters. I'm not sure how much faster a displacement hull would be in the hypothetical situation you gave. I paddled a Burn for a while though, and it certainly has plenty of speed and would be a great size for you. I personally liked the way the boat handled considering I have a playboating background. It has excellent primary stability (just like a playboat) and had plenty of rocker to aid in maneuvering and correcting lines. The added rocker does take away from its ability to hold lines really well, but I thought it still did a pretty good job. As far as overnighters go, I thought it handled pretty well with a loaded stern and accessing gear was a breeze compared to most boats (you'll understand how much of a pain in the ass it is to load a boat on your first overnighter).

Here's the downsides of the burn, they have a tendency to crack underneath the seat and from my personal experience the customer service policy is absolutely awful especially when you look at other companies. Also, I wish it had slightly less rocker so that the chime of the boat would hold lines a little bit better (that might be more of a personal preference though).

All together I loved the burn. I just had a bad experience with their customer service.
xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #5
Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 2003
I am 5'9 and 180 and paddle a fluid solo, small, has proved to be a really good boat.
Nate Dogg
stillwaterpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote