Old 08-30-2011   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006

I know there are countless numbers of these threads but I'm going to post another
I'm 5'11'' 145lbs and am going to get a new creekboat. I'm looking at the Remix 69 (not 59 because I'll grow out of it), Jefe, Nomad 8.1 and maybe the Stomper 80. I'm coming from a Mamba and liked the edges but I kind of want to try a displacement hull.
So I'm wondering if you can really tell when you don't have an edge. Any thoughts on any of these boats would be great. Thanks

Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #2
B.F.E., Wyoming
sounds like you need to demo. All those boats are good.

freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #3
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Try the Pyranha Shiva (when it comes out) and let me know how it is...
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #4
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by Mmcquillen View Post
So I'm wondering if you can really tell when you don't have an edge. Any thoughts on any of these boats would be great. Thanks
You'll be quite aware of whether you have edges. You'll feel it in the funny water and when you are reaching for eddies. There are a ton of arguments to both sides, and like the freebie mentioned, demoing is critical. When I broke my Mystic I thought my next boat would be a Villain for sure. I demoed that and decided that I hated the way it felt. I didn't expect to like the Burn, but I've since fallen in love with it.

I think the thing I've really learned from these experiences is that kayaking is not a cerebral sport. You need that to read the water, of course, but 80% of it is all down to feel. It is this kinesthetic aspect that makes certain hull shapes vibe for some people but not others.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Marshall, good to see you styling the Narrows sunday. I love edges. I resisted getting a creek boat through the late 90's as they were all sloppy displacement hulls. I kept running harder stuff in my Whiplash and getting the occasional beat-down as a result of running class V in a 60 gallon boat. I way prefer a partially flat hulled creeker with sharp edges. Try the pyranhas, try a jackson hero, try as many boats as you can. Some people swear by rounded hulls for creeking, and they do have some advantages, but the performance of edges has always won out for me.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #6
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
displacement kills it, try a jefe chances are you wont go back if thats what you are looking for.. if you want to step up the steepness go with a jefe if you want to amp the speed up so you can fly off a drop and carve through rapids buy a stomper,
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #7
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I really like the control having a little bit of an edge gives me...I have a fluid solo and dig it... my b/f paddles a burn and likes it. I would definitely try displacement vs edgy hull when u demo. There is a huge difference and personal preference for either is a very important factor.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #8
Boulder, Colorado
If you want no edges go with the jefe, not as much speed as the others but is a very forgiving boat and a great way to get into creeking also makes up for the learning curve when learning to boof.
If you want something with a bit more edge try a nomad, it has more speed and holds a line a bit better and still boofs well, add a bit more edge and you get into the villan and habitat (more speed not quite as good of boofs), and a bit more edge you get into the burn/hero more edge hold lines great better if you want to run pushy water. But as others said talk to friends ask them what they like everyone has pros/cons of their boats and you should then go out and demo a few of them before all the water runs out.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #9
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Good thread, as I want to add a new creek boat to my canoe fleet. I am using a H3:255/pre-Burn (planning hull/sharp edges) for creeking and river running and like the edges, but I am wondering if a semi-displacement hull in the Stomper would be more forgiving and easier to boof allowing me to further my abilities and confidence to run harder stuff or would it be a disadvantage to what I am used too?

I would love to demo, but hard to find a C1 demos and sitting in a kayak really feels foriegn to begin with let alone paddling it to feel the boat differneces. If any C1ers have thoughts, please share or PM me.

Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #10
Boise, Idaho
Also, recognize there are slight differences between a higher cfs Class IV+/V river runner and lower cfs creeking/hucking.

In most cases, any long boat will do fine on both so long as you like the boat but, for instance, a Remix or Stomper will generally do better on something like the North Fork Payette where a SuperHero or Jefe will probably do better on tighter, technical creeking.

Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote